Our first dozen - on the floor. 🤔

Lilion

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Kinda SW MO
20230201_150337.jpg
Took 8 days, but my 3 girls gave us a dozen eggs. At least, 2 of the 3...I'm pretty sure one isn't laying, based totally on the appearance of the eggs. All 3 hens look totally different from each other. Now if they'd lay in the nice nest boxes, instead of the poopy coop floor. I've pot golf balls in, but I don't think they've even investigated them. They're about 18" high. I think I'll put a perch in front of them this weekend. Do you think that'll help?
20230128_172056.jpg

View attachment 3392797Took 8 days, but my 3 girls gave us a dozen eggs. At least, 2 of the 3...I'm pretty sure one isn't laying, based totally on the appearance of the eggs. All 3 hens look totally different from each other. Now if they'd lay in the nice nest boxes, instead of the poopy coop floor. I've pot golf balls in, but I don't think they've even investigated them. They're about 18" high. I think I'll put a perch in front of them this weekend. Do you think that'll help?View attachment 3392801
Puttting the nest boxes on the floor might help.

That would be a chore...they're pretty securely attached to the walls. :(
It might be worth it.
While chickens like to roost up high by nature they are ground laying birds rather than high nest builders. There are of course the inevitable exceptions.
You could construct new nest boxes at ground level underneath the existing if lowering the current boxes is an issue.

You could construct new nest boxes at ground level underneath the existing if lowering the current boxes is an issue.
True. I've been thinking about that. I didn't want to take up floor space but the coop is huge (49 sq ft) for 4 birds. I also wanted less bending due to back issues...but I suppose I'm bending if they're on the floor now.

I've read posts here with waist high boxes and I remember as a kid my folks chickens nests were not ground level. I just assumed they'd like the more quiet, private boxes over the ground next to the pop door!

Many people put the nests up off the floor. Be patient they will figure it out. If they are just dropping them randomly they are not searching for nests yet. Some birds search before they lay, but some take a bit before the instinct kicks in.
They are first timers, got them barely feathered out...so I'll put the roost in front for now, put something to block where they're laying now, and wait a bit.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom