Our first egg!.....and I missed it :(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lorihadams, Oct 20, 2008.

1. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    My husband shot a deer on Saturday and couldn't find it so I got up Sunday morning and went with him to look for it.

Meanwhile my mother and grandmother stayed at my house with my 3 yr old and 19 mo old. When they met up with us later for lunch my son comes running at me saying "Surprise!" My mom hands me the camera and says look at the pictures I took. There was a picture of my son in the dhicken coop getting out our first egg!

I was so excited but a little sad that I missed it...btw, we saw the deer that hubby shot standing in a field with an arrow sticking out of his hind quarter....he's gonna try to go sit in the same spot this week and get another shot at him.

We got 3 new barred rock hens at the swap meet in Farmville saturday and I think it was one of the new girls that layed the egg! Now my husband doesn't feel so bad about me coming home with MORE chickens....man, these things are like potato chips! You just can't stop! They should come with a warning label! LOL

Lori

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I missed my millies first two eggs, didnt think she would lay, after all its cold and she is only 5 1/2 month old. She doesnt even have a hutch only a pet carrier where she sleeps at night outside.
    I walked by and there were two little peachcolored eggs.Since then she laid three more

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Aww, I hope your hubby gets that deer. Enjoy your Barred Rocks, they are very sweet birds. You can get the next "first egg". [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Once they have an arrow in them, that's when I'm tempted to take them down with a rifle. Go get a game warden and take him with you. No sense letting the poor thing suffer. That's why I don't believe in bow hunts. If you can't take them out w/ a rifle in one shot, I don't believe in harvesting them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by