Our first egg and there only 15 wks???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TMNTCkins, Jul 20, 2008.

1. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

We found an egg in our goat house but I thought that 15 wks was too early for them to start laying. It was a huge egg and had a very think shell it just supprised us because we haven't put the boxes in yet. Just thought I would see if that is normal. I think it was aour Cucco Marons because it was dark dark brown. Thanks

2. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] Congrats! [​IMG]

I better get busy on nest boxes....mine are 15wks next week! What breed do you have?

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's not all that unusual, there have been quite a few people lately posting about a bird laying at 15 or 16wks. I need to get started on my next boxes, my oldest girls are 15wks right now!

4. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I want mine to start!

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats. My hens are 17 weeks old and no eggs yet, but I have started peeking into the nest boxes daily.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Some production birds can start that early. I had one start at about that age. She laid like a champ for about 8 months and is now the "special needs hen" as she starting having problems at a year old.

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    what kind are these breeds that are laying this early . I have 3 RIR's that are about 4 to 4 1/2
    months and their combs and waddles are just starting to show up good lately and turning red .
    Even their faces are turning red.
    So , what gives ? LOL

I have 3 that are laying everyday , I have one that went broodyand has been out of that stage about 6 weeks ago and HAS NOT started laying again SO FAR .

PLUS ( as we call them) the other 3 stooges are NOT laying yet .

NOW we also have 28 teens that are about 14 - 15 weeks old and I am kinda expecting to SEE an egg from them before these stooges decide to lay . lol

DOES size have anything to do with when they start laying . OR just age ? I kinda feel like my 28 teens are NOT as grown as they should be for their ages .
    MY TEENS ARE - 4 barred rocks , 10 austrolorps , and 14 rir's .

8. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    mine seem small too [​IMG] maybe thats why

9. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:you have any pictures of yours .

I will try and take recent pictures of mine this week .

IF I can make them pose . [​IMG]

10. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    I dont. I tried today and it started to downpour so I quit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by