OUR FIRST EGG!

Millsa

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Sep 26, 2022
My gal, an Easter Egger, we thought, might actually be an olive egger, laid her first egg today! She immediately left the nest to go have an extended dust bath :lau…. So i went and snatched the egg .. its PERFECT. It’s a good sized egg! And roundish - so i want to put it in the incubator. What is the thought on hatching the very first egg? Some say it makes weaker chickens. ? That seems kind of nuts to me - i mean if it’s not exactly right - wont it just not develop? Id love your thoughts and expertise. Xx signed, Firse time mother hen.

Attachments

• 5376D1D4-6588-4401-8F25-C3701B57022B.jpeg
    5376D1D4-6588-4401-8F25-C3701B57022B.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 13
Do you have a rooster? Newly laying pullets can't have there eggs fertilized till they start there rhythm in egg production.

It take about 3 weeks after initial first egg to have them consistently fertilized.

Most of the time the first egg is smaller, making the chance of the chick not having the space to develop properlly. Do you have other eggs to set? If it does hatch it would be best if it has flock mates iits own age.
Im hoping to get more eggs in the coming days… and will incubate those too

Do you have a rooster? Newly laying pullets can't have there eggs fertilized till they start there rhythm in egg production.

It take about 3 weeks after initial first egg to have them consistently fertilized.
We have a rooster. And he prefers to “get it on” with the hen who laid this egg… so are you saying this egg is not fertilized? looking forward to more information, thanks.

Use the first egg for breakfast to determine the fertility. Crack it open and check the yolk for the blastoderm. That should give you a better idea of where she's at in her fertility.

If you are going to incubate, I would collect eggs until you get enough and add all eggs to incubator at the same time not good to have a staggered hatch with only one incubator just adding that in case you didn't already know that. And as others have said its not the best situation to incubate their first eggs it is better to let them work the bugs out of their laying systems. There will be many eggs in your hen's future so no need to rush it. Not saying it can't be done just not the best situation. GOOD LUCK in whatever you do. :)

Updating. I got another perfect egg from my EE. We decided to open up the eggs and check for fertility - the first egg was not fertile. The second egg WAS FERTILE and I’ve seen that she’s still being mounted, the rooster is aware of who is laying.. smart guy.. so im going to wager that all successive eggs are fertile. When i collect 8 or so - I’ll begin incubating!!! Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions. It truly helps! First time mother hen here… and over thinking everything.

Also overjoyed to make mini Easter eggers as she is my most favorite hen. Super nice. Loves to have lap time. And she seems a bit smarter than my Wellies.

Back
Top Bottom