Our first egg!

Hmm, I think Ginger might be something else. A production red maybe? Comet or Red Star?

I am no expert in chicken breeding, but EE usually have pea combs and slate or green legs. The may have a beard and or muffs as well. I have three with beards and muffs, with no wattles and one with no beard, muffs or wattles. She may be part EE, but those EE genes might have gotten lost down the lines. Where did you get her?

Some of my EE's.

Ginger looks nothing like those! We were told she was an EE'er. We got her at 12 weeks old (we were told) from a guy on Craigslist who had a bunch he got as chicks from tractor Supply. She isn't dark enough to be a RIR, I don't think.

These pics are from June & July soon after we got her. The one under the coop is from June. She was always the biggest of them and the most friendly.

Might want to ask in the what breed/gender thread, but it looks to me like she is a production red of some type. If so, she will be an egg laying machine!

Hello fellow Back Yard Chicken peeps!! I have a quick question for anyone willing to answer. Our ladies started laying about 3/4 weeks ago- (my daughter was so excited!! She found the egg when she came home from her first day of school) and we have one hen who is laying eggs with little bumps on them. They look like calcium deposits.... Has anyone else had a problem with this? Or is it even something I should worry about?? Thanks in advance!

Hello fellow Back Yard Chicken peeps!! I have a quick question for anyone willing to answer. Our ladies started laying about 3/4 weeks ago- (my daughter was so excited!! She found the egg when she came home from her first day of school) and we have one hen who is laying eggs with little bumps on them. They look like calcium deposits.... Has anyone else had a problem with this? Or is it even something I should worry about?? Thanks in advance!

Nothing to be concerned about - eggs come with all sorts of blips and whatnot - in color, texture, etc - the difference is that these eggs produced at a factory farm would never see the inside of an egg carton/store because they are not perfect in appearance, and would be sold off for other uses (egg product foods, pet feed, etc).

Nothing to be concerned about - eggs come with all sorts of blips and whatnot - in color, texture, etc - the difference is that these eggs produced at a factory farm would never see the inside of an egg carton/store because they are not perfect in appearance, and would be sold off for other uses (egg product foods, pet feed, etc).  

Thank you so much!! We were still using them and they tasted just fine!! We are new to this adventure and we love it- but now and the questions do arise! That is why we love BYC!!

Hmm, I think Ginger might be something else. A production red maybe? Comet or Red Star? I am no expert in chicken breeding, but EE usually have pea combs and slate or green legs. The may have a beard and or muffs as well. I have three with beards and muffs, with no wattles and one with no beard, muffs or wattles. She may be part EE, but those EE genes might have gotten lost down the lines. Where did you get her? Some of my EE's.
What does EE stand for? One of my ladies is identical to this!

What does EE stand for? One of my ladies is identical to this!

EE is short for Easter Egger - a mixed breed bird often mislabeled/misrepresented as Ameraucanas -- they are created using some blue egg laying parentage to result in offspring that lay colorful eggs, which is where the name comes from.

x2 on what Ol Grey Mare said. Wait until you get a shell-less egg! I've only had a handful over the years, but when you get them, they're pretty weird!

Back
Top Bottom