Our first eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicktwins, Nov 4, 2011.

1. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    We got our very first eggs last week. It all started with one on Wednesday of last week. We have gotten one almost every day since then with the exception of 3 days I think. Today however, we got TWO!!! I am thinking that we now have two hens a laying and 17 still dancing or whatever they want to do with in the song. hahaha I know the first layer was a Lt. Brahma but have no clue which of the other girls laid their first today. the first started laying on the ground in the coop until I showed her the nesting boxes with the eggs in it. The very next day she laid hers in the box like a good little chicken. Today, the new one I almost stepped on in the outside run area. i need to now figure out who that one is so I can give her the tour of the nesting box area as well so she can be more informed. I thought the one would share her education with the rest but I guess she felt no need since she was the only one at that point. lol
    Anyone out there that can tell me when they will start to lay a larger egg? The ones I have gotten so far are small. I know they all start out that way but how long does it normally take before they produce a full size egg for their breed?

2. The Little Country Farm

The Little Country Farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Liberty, MS
    Congrats on your first eggs! [​IMG] I'm still waiting on mine [​IMG] Sorry I can't answer your question [​IMG]

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

whoo hoooo--congratulations on those eggs! Happy day.

I have a white leghorn (actually an Ideal 236 Hybrid) that started laying October 20th with a very cute little egg...I think it was 1.4 or 1.5 ounces..... She has been laying nearly daily and today's egg was 1.9 ounces. Sooo that may give you a little indication of the growth curve in the size of the eggs. Give 'em a couple of weeks...and lots of yummy food.

4. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    CONGRATS!!!!! I loved getting my first and still love getting them everyday [​IMG]

5. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Congratulations! I have been getting eggs since August, but every day is still like Christmas morning when I open the nest box and see the eggs there.

6. chicktwins

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks for the replies!! It is very sporadic now. Found one egg this morning when I went to open the coop. Nothing later or during the day that was noticed by my husband. He tucked them in tonight and it was already very dark so I doubt he would have been able to see into the boxes to look. I haven't been weighing them so I don't really know if they are getting larger or heavier each time. They are definitely cute little things though. [​IMG]

7. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Congratulations!

8. chicktwins

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Came home after taking the kids to school this morning and walked right in on the egg song and one of my SLW in a nesting box with a fresh egg. OOOHHHH the joy!! [​IMG]

9. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    [​IMG]

10. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    [​IMG]

Congratuations!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by