Our First Hatch - Advice needed for Spraddle Legs & Curled Toes

NewAussieChook

Songster
5 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Hi all,

We tried out our new incubator, never incubated before. Hatch Day was yesterday. This little one was 'born' around lunch time today (it's now 8.30pm where we are). It had huge issues getting out of it's shell. It made very little progress over 24 hours and the membrane that was exposed dried out and became a tan/yellow colour. In the end I intervened (following advice and instructions from this forum) and wet the membrane carefully and pulled back just a little of the outer membrane (shell). Until chick could get it's beak out. I put it back in the incubator at this point, left it for 3 hours, checked on it and it had managed the rest of the unzip/hatch on it's own.

Now I see why it probably had issues hatching. It's got definite spraddle legs. Cannot stand or walk and keeps falling flat on it's face when it tries to do so.

After lots of reading on here and lots of googling. We have used a bandaid to tape it's legs. Like so;

Is this correct? Did we do it right?

We are first timers and it took us ages and 2 goes to get it looking like the photo.

Now to the curled toes, which are on both feet and are pretty bad. Again we've read extensively on here, google, etc. We tried just making a cardboard splint but found it really hard to position the toes properly. So we found this method:

Hubby has since trimmed the cardboard back. Does this look ok? Does it need any changes?

It can sit up for the first time now, hasn't attempted walking or standing - its very tired. It's still in the incubator, I haven't moved it to the brooder yet.

How often do I need to change the splints?

Any help, pointers, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. We just needed affirmation we were doing it right - feels 'out of our league', as it's so new to us. Hubby trimmed the shoes soon after taking that photo - as he thought they were too big.

We've seen all those links - they were all very helpful! :)

I popped the shoes off this morning to see how it would go. Pretty good but when it tries to walk it falls on its left side, so it's just got the shoe on it's left foot now. It's been trying to stand today - doing pretty well and has taken a few little steps.

Thanks again!

Just a little UPDATE: She's coming along SO well with short physical therapy sessions all day. She can stand and walk and is getting stronger and stronger. The toes are perfect and she doesn't need the brace for the spraddle leg! I'm so impressed with with quick turn around.

Thanks for your advice! :)

Back
Top Bottom