Our First Hawk Attack!

Sweetfolly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Kildare, Wisconsin
We have never had a problem with hawks - probably because we have an abundance of crows around here who heckle the hawks to death. But, last week, we had our very first hawk attack on the birds...

I was out of town. I got home and I was told "Some of you flock was attacked by a hawk yesterday - we're not sure how many are missing, there's blood all over the yard".
ep.gif

Of course, by the time I got home, it was dark outside and I couldn't get a good count of the ducks in the dark with a flashlight. My family knew that one of the ducks, a Dutch Hookbill named Izzie, had been attacked but survived. The next morning, I rushed outside to try to find her, knowing that she'd been injured for two days at that point without any treatment...

I was shocked when I got outside, counted the birds, and they were ALL there, alive and accounted for!
wee.gif
The only injured one was Izzie, she had a good gash on her neck. ALL of the blood in the yard was from her - I don't know how she lost that much blood and survived, it was all over the ground, smeared on the flowerpots and the deck.... but it's been over a week since the attack now and she's perfectly healthy, the gash is nearly all healed up!
celebrate.gif

I'll try to get a picture up soon - but I just wanted to share a hawk story with a happy outcome!
The birds, sadly, aren't allowed to free-range in the yard during the day anymore because we know the hawk will be back....but, everyone's safe!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost didn't click because I thought this would be a depressing post- so glad everything turned out well!

Oh Annarie!

So glad everyone is okay. Is there any extra help you can offer Izzie? Maybe some vitamins?

I also was hesitant to click on this, but since it was you . . .
hugs.gif

My beloved and I have been watching out for hawks - some red-shouldered live in the neighborhood, and some red-tailed come through from time to time. Since the runners are now sleeping in the basement and staying in if it's below 20 (long story, another post), they play in the back garden, which does not have the top fence like their day pen has.

We also have crows that help us out.

But your story reinforces our concern and decision to monitor closely while they are out in the garden. It's winter here, we've got close to thirty inches of snow on the ground in some places, and hawks may be more aggressive right now.

Mercy.

We've had a horrible winter here so far and the hawks are all over the place. I think they're finding it harder to find food so they're going after easy prey, people's chickens and ducks. None of mine have been attacked but like others have said, we keep a flock of crows close by by feeding them several times a day to chase the hawks away. Our Great Pyrenees and Husky will also chase the hawks if they come down low.

I'm glad that your ducks are okay and that after some healing Izzy will be okay as well.

Laurie

Whew. Glad everything was ok. We had the same experience a couple of weeks ago. A little red tailed hawk swooped RIGHT in front of us and the dogs and went for the ducks. Of course the pekin it tired for was wayyyy to big for it. Still it rolled it and it got a talon slash on its head. We have lots of crows too and we don't see many hawks. They are just hungry and desperate right now, if they weren't they wouldn't take the chances they're taking.

Quote:
Really good to hear it, I do have to say most free range folks would never do what you did, they would just put them right back out there and wait for the next attack. I think you did the smart thing by keeping them enclosed, perhaps you could teach other the error of their way's. Anyway good new's.

AL

Back
Top Bottom