Our first hawk attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MadChickensVT, Oct 20, 2011.

1. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    Today we had the first hawk attack that I know of.

We got our birds in the spring and have been free-ranging them for at least a few months. This afternoon my wife and I were getting ready to go for a walk in the beautiful sunny warm day with our baby girl and GSD. I heard a commotion in the lower yard which is hidden from the house by a row of bushes and trees. I jogged toward that area with our GSD and then all of a sudden our rooster comes running up the path between the bushes...with a hawk following! The hawk must have seen me because it flew up and into a tree and then disappeared. The rooster seems fine and we still have all 16 birds. I didn't see any feathers anywhere, though it was a really windy day. We saw the hawk circling a few more times. Hopefully it won't become a common occurrence. We have a good amount of places for the chickens to get under cover quickly. They've been pretty laid-back recently, all spread out and in the open. They were much more careful this afternoon!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

wow close call - glad it turned out okay

hey we had the same windy warm weather today, I will miss these beautiful autumn days when the snow comes.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    very lucky. We all let our hair down and it is a bad habit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by