Our First Predator - Possum!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    . . . well, other than mice and rats. i really should have taken a picture but was too busy screaming for my husband. We have most all our pens right off our back patio. Then right now i have a large rabbit hutch surrounded by kennel panels and topped with aviary netting right on our patio, inches from our back door. We have our three bantam salmon faverolles in there temporarily until i can reconfigure things in the back yard.

So this morning, i go to open the door and see a possum stuck in the aviary netting right over top that hutch. Pretty brave to be right up on our porch. i always leave patio lights on outside at night - strings of icicle lights plus additional Christmas lights. It's pretty bright out there at night. Plus, our goats are penned right next to the patio. They were very interested in that possum. But of course, they never alerted us that it was there. Maybe we need to think about getting a dog.

Anyhow, my husband Quick Draw killed it (i hope) with about 20 pellet gun shots to the head. And i got the lovely chore of cleaning up. Blech! [​IMG] i would feel bad for it but it's been hanging around for a while. i've chased it away from my pens several times. This time, it just got too bold.

2. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    I would recommend getting a Maremma Sheepdog.
    They are the best guarddogs you could get.
    But be warned they grow to be quite big.
    [​IMG]
    Good Luck

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Well, i thought our goats would somewhat be guardians. And actually, since we've had them, i haven't seen any raccoons in our yard. They do try to head bunt any strange cats coming into the yard, if they aren't sleeping. But they aren't good at warning us about strange animals.

4. louloubean

louloubean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    maybe you should take up shooting at predators too?

i'm with you, though. i'd rather the predatpr went walking instead of hanging around!

5. JamesInCorona

JamesInCorona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Corona, Ca
    Glad you got it...
    They don't give up and would have got all of your chickens in no time.
    There are plenty more possums in the world, one less won't hurt.
    Take care [​IMG]

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    They look so docile, it's hard to imagine they kill chickens. But i've read enough on this forum to know better.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    This morning around 5:30 I let my dog out and walked out on the back porch. Before I could close the door he was off the porch and had himself another one. That's nine. Now I think I have a skunk coming 'round. I think I'll shoot him at long range.[​IMG]

8. MSH

MSH Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    I have a possum problem too but I have a mutt and an american bulldog that don't bother the chickens and absolutely love possum sqirrel and rats lol caught them both sleeping behind the nest boxes this afternoon lol

9. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    I have found that in my opinon the best dog to own is a lab/rotti mix you get the family dog and the great protecter i have had mine for almost 3 years and i also have a year old could not ask for a better breed, i also know several others that own them and say they are great! [​IMG]

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

How about a guard poodle? [​IMG] My dog Chloe was protecting the chickens today from neighbourhood kids who were chasing them around to pick them up. My dogs adore those chickens. It's very cute <3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by