Our first predators and it's eye opening.

The owners of dead dogs don't pay for dead chickens.
Some do.
In the past I'd just tell them what I lost and what local replacement would cost then give them the option of what they wanted to do.
More often then not they paid whatever I quoted.
But ya they were reasonable quotes. I never asked for $100 per chicken or anything like that.
In the end I finally fenced in about half my property and haven't had a stray dog enter my yard since.

Some do.
In the past I'd just tell them what I lost and what local replacement would cost then give them the option of what they wanted to do.
More often then not they paid whatever I quoted.
But ya they were reasonable quotes. I never asked for $100 per chicken or anything like that.
In the end I finally fenced in about half my property and haven't had a stray dog enter my yard since.
If it's a local, yes, I believe most would pay.
but I've had two 'designer breed' ankle biters kill 9 hens who were in my run and I had to get the sheriff involved because their weekender owners weren't willing to pay. "they've never done that before, how was I supposed to know they'd do that?" the dogs were from half mile away...

If it's a local, yes, I believe most would pay.
but I've had two 'designer breed' ankle biters kill 9 hens who were in my run and I had to get the sheriff involved because their weekender owners weren't willing to pay. "they've never done that before, how was I supposed to know they'd do that?" the dogs were from half mile away...
:confused: but I'd think most of us were dealing with locals so....

Looked on my cameras and found out someone's 2 dogs were wilding on my chickens.... every hour I'm at home, I'm strapped and waiting on these dogs to come back for more.

Did the dogs ever come back?

Some owners let their dogs run loose all the time.

But even "good" owners who keep their dogs contained can have occasional escapes, like if wind blows down a section of fence while the owner's away at work for the day. If it was a one-time oops, the owner probably fixed the problem as soon as they discovered it.

Not yet. I'm waiting for them but also have a semi secured electric netting/fence perimeter for them now. I put a 50 mile charger to light them up if they try it. I genuinely hope they keep them in. The second to last thing I want to do is kill dogs. The last thing I want to do is have to deal with a bunch of killed chickens.

Back
Top Bottom