Our first time with chicks have question!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kritterkeep, Mar 25, 2009.

1. kritterkeep

kritterkeep Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    We are getting 6 baby chicks today . (Born between yesterday and today)

For right now we plan to keep them in a 10 gal fish tank with wire over top of it- So would the light from the fish tank keep them warm enough or should we use a heat lamp and how far away from them should it be?

thank you for any help

Donna B

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Starting out the temps should be around 90 or 95 degrees. Decrease by 5 degrees each week there after. Good Luck!!!

3. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    you will probably need a heat lamp. Definately do some reading before you bring them home. There are lots of guides online and you might check your local library.

4. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Hi and welcome from North Carolina!![​IMG]

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I would get a thermometer to see how warm the light from the fish tank gets. If it doesnt reach atleast 90 i would get a heat lamp. I like to use the red ones. Just my own experiance

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use a plain white 60 watt bulb in my brooder lamp. Also I have a wireless digital thermometer with an alarm to monitor the temp. If the temp gets below what ever I set the alarm for it will go off.

7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:If your aquarium light is a fluorescent tube it is complete useless for heating, since they emit light, but very little heat.

8. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    Also they might run out of room in there pretty quick.
    A nice large plastic tote makes a nice brooder box too.

Good luck!

9. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Will a ten gal. aquarium with a top on it (I assume if you are using the light) have enough ventilation for the chicks? Just wondering.

10. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    You know i have raised many chick in an aquarium, the tem gallon ones work great while they are little, which doesn't last long. In my experience i have used just a 60 watt light bulb with a dropcord. So far using that method I haven't had a single problem with heat or ventilation. The major thing is to keep it clean and to make sure they have some type of litter that will help them keep a firm hold on the ground to prevent spraddle feet. Welcome to BYC and good luck with your chickens i enjoy my chickens immensly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by