Our first time

SarahInAlaska

Songster
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Since I can't post to Facebook without disgusting or horrifying family and friends this is the only place I can post.

We only started chickens a month ago but have already built a flock of 13 egg hens and 19 chicks. We knew we'd have to cull any roosters that pop up in the bunch but we are a ways out from deciphering which ones are Roos. But today on Craigslist someone posted 4 roosters for free. I figured it would make a first butcher easier if we hadn't had them for long and gotten attached at all. So we picked them up and they are healthy but small (turns out they are all 6 month old bantams, lol.). So we got home and went to work. It wasn't easy doing the initial kill part (mostly made the hubby do it) and then at about 9 pm we had the last alive one make a break for it and he was gone, into the neighbors yard making a horrid noise. Hubby got the bright idea to herd some of the lady hens back out to the run and we went back to work. Not 5 minutes later and here comes the dope sauntering over and sticking his head through the bars at the hens. Then by a stroke of luck he got his head stuck in the bars with him between the run and a snow bank so he was trapped enough for me to pounce. So, we got them all butchered and we are still up processing (we need some practice) but I've got one in the crock pot slow cooking and one in the fridge and we'll get the other two done soon. And my 3 year old was great! Not a tear and she went to town holding them by their feet and plucking away and even collected the heads for the trash!

I have raised layers several times, but this is my first time with meat birds. I am hoping husband and I can go through with it. He grew up with meat animals but is not that interested in being self-sufficient. Our family never killed anything bigger than a spider. Now we have 3 geese, 3 turkeys and 14 meat birds. I found a local processor if we can't go through with it, but they are kinda pricey. $5 per chicken, $15-25 per turkey, and $15 per waterfowl.

My husband is probably what you'd call a "prepper" while I came from a mother who didn't allow guns in the house and we never fished or hunted. In Alaska that just makes you weird, lol. But I met my husband and he's slowly teaching me how to be more self reliant. I garden and we've been learning to how to hunt and now this year we are raising egg layers and butchering any accidental roosters. It might be hard at first (I couldn't look while he broke their necks) but it feels so rewarding after when you can package up that meat and store it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom