Our flock of 3 went down to 1, via a fox. What to do now?

armyfan

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2018
We would let our 3 ladys out of their enclosed coop. 2 Brahma, 1 black star. For the last 3 years it went according to plan. A few days ago upon my routine inspection to see where they were, a fox was over 1, and another 1 was already gone. So we're down to 1 brahma by herself. We are rookies and dont know if she'll be ok by herself, if we should give her to another flock owner, or something else. We love our lady, and want the best for her. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Get her some friends, she will become lonely and sad all by herself. To give her a temporary friend whilst you get her some friends you can use a mirror it will make her think their are other chickens there. If you can’t or don’t want anymore chickens then it is for the best if you give her to someone else.

Sorry for your loss :(
I went through the same ordeal in May this year... fox left one dead and one gasping for air dying slowly :( it is horendeous :(

She will need a buddy (or two) for company, as soon as possible really. My girl was ok for two weeks, but started to get a bit flat. They are very sociable little things so don't do well without company.

Can you get hold of some pullets friends for her?

I wanted to thank you for the mirror advice. I never understood why they would stare into our glass door when we let them out. But now I guess I get it. We got 2 more mid sized hens, and all is much better! Thanks again. And I think we will be leaving the mirror in.

I wanted to thank you for the mirror advice. I never understood why they would stare into our glass door when we let them out. But now I guess I get it. We got 2 more mid sized hens, and all is much better! Thanks again. And I think we will be leaving the mirror in.
That’s great to hear, and I’m glad I could help. Wishing you and your chickens the best of luck :)

That's heartbreaking!
A similar situation happened to me ... except it was the neighborʻs breaking through our PVC chicken tractor.

Our sole-surviving hen we left to freerange, while my husband built a permament, more secure coop. Needless to say, itʻs been two years and our coop is finally built and we can get new chicks. Our hen, however, is now our alpha animal - the dogs and cats move away when sheʻs heading for their feed bowls LOL

Back
Top Bottom