Our girls need your help.

producegirl

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
We have three hens that are about 18 months old (two BPR and one RIL). Over the past two week period we have had almost no eggs. The weather has dropped greatly and with snow on the ground the girls spent more time in their coop. Over the past few days two of the three have really started to loose their feathers. At first we were thinking they were molting and now I am wondering if it is more a sign of feather picking. I have looked for mites but have not seen any. With the change in weather we have also noticed rats in the coop going after their food. Is this a sign of being stressed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have a few pics at the link below
http://picasaweb.google.com/producegirl/Chicks#

Well, the timing is right for them to be molting so that is very likely it. Nine of mine are molting right now.

Sounds like you checked for other factors (mites) and feather pecking. I would think that if it was feather pecking you'd see only one or two with missing feathers... not all three, as generally there is a leader in the group who the others won't mess with. Also, with pecking you will usually see blood spots/areas and it's more localized than molting.

Maybe someone has better info or experience and will chime in.

I'm sorry I can't be of much help but may I ask what is an RIL and
welcome-byc.gif

If you think it could possibly be attributed to pecking you could always hang a cabbage head from the ceiling of the coop for entertainment. I've even used carrots and heads of lettuce. Seems to keep them busy and distracted from pecking if they need to be locked inside the coop. But it does sound like they are molting...Oh yeah....Welcome to BYC!

Pecking wouldn't cause the chickens to stop laying. But they always stop laying when they molt.

I think you will be OK - You don't have enough chickens to be too crowded. Give them a couple of weeks and they should start up again.

This is typical behavior.

Another thing to think about is the amount of light they are getting. In the winter months there is such little sun light many chickens will stop laying naturally. I've had to add lights on a timer to encourage them to continue to lay through winter.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. We are still working on getting rid of the rats which I believe is the true problem. It has been hard to do this living in the city with neighbors who are not as receptive to helping with the issue as you would like. One lady has a large yard waste compost pile that seems to be one of the nesting sites.

As for Marge, she is pretty naked and all three girls are moving with some hesitation. It breaks my heart to see them right now. I just want these rats gone!

Back
Top Bottom