Our hatching chicks!!

Why are my week & two week chicks plucking at the chests ???
Is there something wrong?
Are they pulling feathers out, or just picking at them? What kind of feed are they on? If they're pulling the feathers out, they may not be getting enough protein. They need to be on a chick starter feed or similarly well-balanced feed made for growing chickens. More information can help us help you:

* Type of feed
* How much feed (i.e., free feeding or rationed feeding, available all day or only some of the day)
* Lighting/heat available
* Severity of plucking
* Any other symptoms

Also, pics are worth a thousand words so... post 'em if you got 'em (or can get 'em).

If you are using a heat lamp make sure you have a red light. It reduces plucking. Also try a heating element in the brooder.
Red lamps are not necessary. I have never used anything except a standard household bulb & have never had neurotic chicks or pickers or babies who don't sleep. If there is a picking problem it's either a nutrient deficiency, a parasite problem, itchy skin due to not being able to dustbathe, or overcrowding if they are picking each other & not themselves.

ChknLuvRs: Sorry late reply to your post, just happened to stumble on your picture, were you showing the picture so you could sex the chick? If so, and nobody has answered you, that should be a pullet, keep track and let me know if I am right. I am dying to incubate some of our hen's eggs, but will wait till spring. I am just looking at all these posts to learn more! And to live vicariously through all of you!!!

ChknLuvRs: Sorry late reply to your post, just happened to stumble on your picture, were you showing the picture so you could sex the chick? If so, and nobody has answered you, that should be a pullet, keep track and let me know if I am right. I am dying to incubate some of our hen's eggs, but will wait till spring. I am just looking at all these posts to learn more! And to live vicariously through all of you!!!
Ok I'll keep an eye on her. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom