Our hen attacked my two young kids

I'm specifically asking for guidance on the best way to deal with an aggressive hen. Right now my approach is based on this BYC article I read a while back on rooster behavior modification (it took me a while to find it again): https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/rooster-behavior-modification.72983/

As well as this shorter article on aggressive hens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aggressive-dominant-hens.74197/

My thinking is that we need to respond in a way that chickens will understand. Chickens don't pick each other up and carry each other around like footballs when challenged: they peck back. Is this a bad approach? What should we do instead if it is? That's what I'm seeking feedback on.
My goodness get rid of the darn hen. Give her to that family down the road, put her in with established chickens she won’t be so brazen, they will teach her very quickly that she is not even # 2 any longer.

You can try blinders.
20200621_152527.jpg

Behavior modification is far-and-away our preferred option, since the chickens are pets and we're all super attached to them. "Rehoming," whether to another flock or to a stewpot, would be devastating for the kids especially.

That said, we do have family with a farm about two hours away who'd likely be willing to add a pullet to the flock if it came to that.
IMHO you won't teach her not to peck by pecking her. It's the same as saying to a kid we don't hit and then spanking them. I don't think your hen will connect your hitting her with her attacking your child. Personally I'd get rid of her in some fashion. Sell her, give her away or make her supper. My hens have never attacked me. They like to pick stuff off my pants and I have one that bites me if I pat her on her left side. So I pat her on her right side.

I'm sorry my solutions might not be what you want, but chickens are not dogs or horses etc. They are not that easily trained they way you are suggesting. Now my chickens know their names, they know "back" when I want to get in the coop, they know "out" when I am working in the coop, and they will "come" when I have treats. As far as discipline I don't think they connect their bad behaviors with it. Good luck. Protect your children

IMHO you won't teach her not to peck by pecking her. It's the same as saying to a kid we don't hit and then spanking them. I don't think your hen will connect your hitting her with her attacking your child. Personally I'd get rid of her in some fashion. Sell her, give her away or make her supper. My hens have never attacked me. They like to pick stuff off my pants and I have one that bites me if I pat her on her left side. So I pat her on her right side.

I'm sorry my solutions might not be what you want, but chickens are not dogs or horses etc. They are not that easily trained they way you are suggesting. Now my chickens know their names, they know "back" when I want to get in the coop, they know "out" when I am working in the coop, and they will "come" when I have treats. As far as discipline I don't think they connect their bad behaviors with it. Good luck. Protect your children
My father in law once had a goat that butted him, a wayward dog, perhaps other farm animals. They immediately were dealt with. He carried a .22 pistol all the time. I agree, protect your children. Chickens can be replaced. An infected scratch is no joke.

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs

1 lemon, halved

1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted

1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced

4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks

1 bulb of fennel, tops removed, and cut into wedges

Olive oil

Back
Top Bottom