Our indoor fodder system

Rancid Crbtree

Songster
Feb 20, 2024
Im experimenting with a indoor fodder system that Im testing out for our 24 chickens. It will be great for our long winters so they get fresh greens.

This should result in better eggs and lower feed costs and it seems to really occupy their time. Its super easy to do and pretty cheap.
fodder1.jpg
fodder2.jpg
fodder2a.jpg
fodder3.JPG
fodder4.JPG
fodder4.JPG
fodder5.JPG
fodder6.JPG
fodder7.JPG
fodder8.JPG
fodder9.jpg
fodder91.jpg
fodder92.jpg
fodder93.jpg
fodder94.JPG
fodder95.JPG
fodder96.JPG
fodder97.JPG
fodder98.jpg
fodder99.JPG
fodder991.jpg
fodder992.jpg

Super informative and detailed. This is great! We do this with lentils in the winter! I’ll have to try grains.

Good job.
I have a fair amount of experience with fodder. I actually taught classes on the topic open to our 500 member chicken group conducted in a classroom at the humane society here.
I agree that barley is the best seed for the practice. I also had trays of wheat, oats, buckwheat and sunflower seeds. The latter worked quite well also. The results with oats were a bit of a disappointment. Experimenting with several techniques, I found that the initial soak of 8 hours worked better than 24. The idea is that the longer soak causes the seed to swell enough to slightly hinder onset of germination. However, an 8 hour soak requires more frequent rinsing in the first couple days.
Your results look very similar to mine.
I have another comment.
While I don't see a reference to it on the ingredient label, seed meant for planting usually contains antifungals and sometimes insecticides. Neither of which is suitable for food. I always specify that I would only accept feed barley (and other seed).
I once called my local feed store and was pleasantly surprised to find they had an 80 lb. sack of barley which they don't usually carry. I specifically asked if it was feed grade and not seed grade. They said it was. When I got there I asked why they had it and they told me someone ordered it for brewing beer. But then he changed his mind and didn't want to buy it. They loaded it in my truck and I drove home. Before I took it out of the truck, I read the label and found it contained fungicide and insecticide. I was sure that was why the brewer refused it. I promptly returned it. They pulled several other nefarious things (mostly expired product) and even though it is less than 10 minutes from the house and the next feed stores are a half hour away in the next state, I never shopped there again.

Last edited:
The peak nutrition is very helpful. I always wonder if I am helping or just making more work for myself

I love this.

We've got smaller trays I bought on Amazon and do this on such a smaller scale than you do, probably because we've only got 20 some silkies. I do it with just hard red winter wheat though. I soak about a cup is all, for two trays.

Quite the smaller version of yours. ;) I like your trays better so going to show hubby! I do this just for the chickens in the breeding pen that have no grass as the rest free-range.

323092335_612083720593139_1522034436362376483_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom