Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Strutter is a very handsome guy. I sure hope my fbcm grows to look like that - I'd have blue chicks running around all over :)
SF eggs went under my broody Betty last night. She didn't seem to notice. Ben - I'm going to miss our old hatching thread!!! I guess I should look for one to join, as that was quite fun last time.

Sure was, and look, now we learn new stuff all the time together!

I will be sure to come find you next time I am setting. Maybe next birthday ;) You can always find me here either way.

I packed up my incubator and two brooders today, cleaned up the dust, kind of sad but also good to have a clean space back. The little gems survived the night out but still crowded at the door at sun set. If they are anything like the last hatch they should get the idea after about 4 nights. Better they learn sooner so I don't have to shoo them down with a broom!

All but four if mine spent their first night outside last night. It seems all went well. The other four will rejoin them once their backs feather in a little more. They're lagging behind so I'm boosting their protein to catch up. The little buggers love boiled egg so that's easy. I'm getting more eggs right now than I have buyers for so it's a good way to use up the older ones. I don't advertise my eggs - only because when my regular customers want eggs they all want them at once and I hate making anyone wait :) Besides, our family uses at least a couple dozen each week.

Wow Ben, your vision is coming together.

I am gearing up for my mega egg run. Turkeys peafowl guineas quail geese and chickens of course.

The golf bag is not big enough so I am going to use a bicycle box. I can get it there as part of my luggage as long as I can keep it under 20kg.

I am also bringing extra eggs as a study on if xrays really effect eggs. They don't cause miscarriages or deformity in human embryos less than 3 weeks.

I will put 36 eggs in my regular checked luggage.

The adventure continues!!

Thanks guys, it's all getting there one feather at a time.

I have been following along Oz, best of luck with your next trip, the hatch after we will have some form of auto turner sorted out.

Yay nova! You're about day 5 right? Hahaha....I have a hatch buddy...Ben, you may want to warn her...
Dust in my kitchen was disgusting. My house has a very "open" floorplan so my living room chicks produced kitchen dust until they moved to the basement. My kitchen should have sparkled as often as I had to clean it. Once I get the last 4 out of the brooder I can clean the room downstairs. Hoping Betty is a good mother so she can raise the faverolles...OUTside.

We were lucky to keep the dust to the office, all the rest of the dust is just normal dust lol

Cleaning is almost done now, I just have a few things to put away left over from a turner project I was working on.

The peeps experienced their first lot of rain last night, I hope they didn't freak out and run from the covered area.

Glad to hear you ladies are running a close hatch. I would love to set some more, but we are currently at 3 times the local limit, kind of. I guess the council would say so, but according to my chicken math we are no where near the limit.

We are allowed 6 hens and no roosters.
We have approximately 10 pullets and 8 cockerels.........technically........zero hens and zero roosters! For now anyway.

Next year, we may be able to set a limited run and top up to about a dozen flock size.

Back
Top Bottom