Our Isa Brown has stopped laying and is acting different

crazychook

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 13, 2011
We have two Isa Brown hens that have been laying for around 6 weeks consistently giving one egg each per day.

A few days ago one layed an egg with a thin shell and hasn't layed since. She walks around with her tail down and has become a little lethargic compared to what she was. She is still eating but not with any enthusiasm. She doesn't appear to be in any discomfort but isn't happy and active like before.

We haven't changed anything and the second hen is still laying fine and is active and happy.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Tail down definitely signals a problem - especially if she isn't eating properly & acting lethargic. How old is she? Could she be getting ready to molt? Could there maybe mites or lice on her? Does she have an injury? When did you worm her last?

Have you posted this question on the emergencies forum - I would ask this question there - it's for medical and emergency questions.

Hope you figure it out soon.

Have you checked her for a stuck egg, first of all (called egg binding)? Secondly, sex links and other hatchery high production types tend toward egg peritonitis and internal laying. She could have malfunctioned that way, though normally, it doesn't happen until they are approaching two years of age.

They are around 32 weeks. We bought them from a reputable breeder and they were wormed by her.

These are our first chickens so we are still learning what is and isn't normal. We are also still learning our way around the forums
smile.png

I have looked her over and can't see anything out of the ordinary when comparing her to our other hen. I will have to slip on a glove and see if I can feel an egg inside her.

Thanks for the help so far

Back
Top Bottom