Our Kentucky coop

tazzy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Kentucky
This is our chicken coop. It's 14' wide and about 8-10 feet deep. It's next to our barn. My husband built it last spring and he poured concrete footings all the way around, 12" deep, to keep any critters from digging under and attacking our chickens. my husband put insulation in the walls and during the coldest winter months, he had hay stacked up high to keep out the wind on the screen side. And the window was covered and shut.

chickencoopheadon.jpg

And this is the area beside it that my husband is going to make an outdoor run area that they can access freely. It will have fencing on the sides and the top to protect the chickens from hawks, which are common in our area. It's the flagged area. I estimate that it's about 16 feet by 16 feet:

sideofchickencoopforaddition.jpg

This is the brooder coop that my husband built for our chicks to stay warm when we first received them. We put it in our barn and hung brooder lights inside. It's on wheels, so it's easy to move around. (There is a mean chicken inside in this pic that we isolated from the flock.):

meanchicken.jpg

Here's our three nesting boxes with a hen on one nest:

roostingboxes.jpg

And cause I can't resist, a closeup of our gorgeous new roo. He's a buff orp, just like our hens:

handsomeroo.jpg

Last edited:
that sure is a nice henhouse an brooder setup.your hubby put alot work into building the henhouse an brooder.

thanks! he'll be pleased to hear the compliments. He built the brooder in about a day. it has slide-out trays for easy cleaning. He looked at one at Tractor Supply Store and built it just like it.

he spent more time on the coop itself. it's really a nice place for the hens and the new roo. I can't wait until they have the outdoor area to enjoy, too. they get afternoon sun in the coop since it faces northwest, but they don't get morning sun (well, a little, since the window faces southeast, but not throughout the coop.)

Your husband does very professional looking work. Everything is so neat! I think your mean hen is pretty! LOL! Is she a Buff Orpington, too? The rooster ought to straighten her out! I love the size of your coop and soon to be predator proof run. How many chickens do you own? I wish I had thought of wheels for my brooder/isolation/hospital pen. I'm happy that you and your husband are BOTH interested in raising chickens and apparently doing it first class! How fortunate for your marriage and the chickens!

thanks, everyone!!

airmom, the meany is a buff orp, too. she killed three of our hens this spring within about a week. it was really sad. so we don't know quite what to do with her now. she's very pretty, but the only one of our buff hens that didn't have any feathers pecked, so we knew she was the culprit. plus, we saw her doing it a few times.

we bought the roo and three one-year-old hens from someone nearby and so now we have 10 hens and 1 roo. all buff orp.

DH was the one who got me interested in chickens. he raised them when he was younger, in southern california of all places! it seems more fitting here in kentucky...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom