Our late hen's brood - an experiment

Nice! So the chicks will pretty much turn out as Australorps, lol.
Yes. One of the cockerels we have kept from a previous hatch looks 100% Australorp to my eyes, but we've had a few teenagers with pea combs, and he has a re-homed brother with both a pea comb and a gorgeous splash of red across his back. That guy is now living the life of Riley with a harem of 23 hens! 😂

Alas, it isn't just the little guy's legs, it's his neck, too. He can only look to his right, and his neck seems to have a big curve in it, no doubt from malpositioning. He can stand up better now, but ends up falling in everything. I am feeding him egg yolk via eyedropper and making sure he gets water. Right now he is chirping up a storm, most unhappily. I know many cull at this point, but he is fighting so hard that I can't bring myself to that. Wondering if it's wry neck, and if that improving would help his balance?

Well, he made it a week. The contorted neck was probably the worst part for him, and not something I could fix. As before, I'm guessing it was due to the malpositioning. ☹️ We named him Fredly. Rest in peace, sweet little fellow.

Though malpositioning can happen with any aged egg, the lower hatching weight with yolk absorption issues, etc., I saw in chicks that hatched from older ones means I'll stick with newer eggs in the future.

Thankfully, all Fredly's brothers and sisters are doing well, including the littlest ones. I think I have found a home for the majority of them (friends who are getting back into chickens on a new property). Lila would be pleased. 😊

Back
Top Bottom