Our Lilttle Hatchlings Arrived...

1hawaiian

Chirping
12 Years
Jan 3, 2012
Our little day-old Black Australorp hatchlings arrived from Ideal Hatchery (Texas) to Hawaii.

Temps here are 65*/75* and have them in the house ;-)

I was thinking of using the Mama Heating Pad method for a week or two...
My question is... Is it really necessary to use it considering our temps here in Hawaii?

Thank you!

Hi! Glad to hear that you've been thinking about Mama Heating Pad. Yep, even in Hawaii it's absolutely necessary for the chicks to have that concentrated heat. After all, the entire system is designed to mimic Mama Hen,and I'll bet she doesn't tell her Littles, "You don't need me here in Hawaii - it's warm enough!" They won't be under it all the time - they'll putter around and explore and just run under the pad for a quick warm-up or if they get spooked, exactly as they do under broody. But do not deny them that opportunity, especially since they may well be experiencing some shipping related stress from the trip.

Enjoy your babies! Come on over to the Mama Heating Pad thread if you haven't visited already. Pop in just to say hi, and if you run into any difficulties or have questions we're all ready to lend a hand!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

Blooie- Thank you very much...as you explain it now it makes perfect sense!
I appreciate it ;-)
Aloha!

Back
Top Bottom