Our meat birds, after butchering, are tough and dry

cjpines

Songster
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
We just butchered 9 Cornish Cross hens at age 10 wks. We've barbecued, oven roasted and now in slow cooker. All ways they have turned out like stewing chickens, dry and tough.

Is 10 wks to long to wait to butcher?

Did you let the meat rest for the 3 days, before freezing or cooking?
We let the birds rest for 3 days in the refrigerator before we froze them.

We defrosted them in the refrigerator then cooked them. What I noticed was the skin had a yellow color more like an old chicken.

We let the birds rest for 3 days in the refrigerator before we froze them.

We defrosted them in the refrigerator then cooked them. What I noticed was the skin had a yellow color more like an old chicken.
We fed them the normal grain, 20% protein as suggested for broilers. We tried to get them to forage, but they were not interested.

It may be the length of time, maybe some one else will put in their 2cents worth.

I will find out shortly I have 6 left from a batch that were smaller than the rest and next week will be 10 weeks..

The others I processed at 8 weeks and they eat well.

Mine I feed chick starter until process day.

It may be the length of time, maybe some one else will put in their 2cents worth.

I will find out shortly I have 6 left from a batch that were smaller than the rest and next week will be 10 weeks..

The others I processed at 8 weeks and they eat well.

Mine I feed chick starter until process day.
Okay, thanks I'll wait to hear how your 10 wk ones turn out.

OMG thats what I must be doing wrong, I'm not letting the meat rest before freezing it. Is there any particular ways to do it? Wrap it, etc?
Yes, but them into a freezer bag or something in the refrig for 3 days after kill, then freeze. We did that, but still the meat was tough, maybe because they were 10 wks old, to old for tenderness.

Back
Top Bottom