Our Mixed Flock Journey!

Pics
Well, I spent the whole day working outside in the chicken pen! We are getting ready to spread the grass seed! I decided that I needed a couple of chick pics, a picture of something I want to do and something I finally did! Lol

First Maggie & Little Roo...he's still my fave and he's doing so well!
View attachment 2163944

Madeleine, do any of you know what this little girl might be? She was supposed to be a French Black Copper Maran, but I'm not sure that she is!
View attachment 2163948
View attachment 2163949

I finally made a dust bath with diatomaceous earth! They haven't really started using it yet, but I'm hoping they will!
View attachment 2163953

These trellis posts are where we used to have our raspberries & Blackberries. We are going to possibly put raspberries on the set closest in the picture! For the other two, I'm thinking of a roost bar on one and a couple of swings on the other! I've seen swings for chickens, but I don't know if they would really use them!:idunno
View attachment 2163955
She sure is pretty! And I have a chicken swing but they won’t touch it.. if I try to put one on it they sorta freak.... I hear you have to start them young :confused:
D7441735-895C-4A08-A4BB-4228D80B3746.jpeg

Well, I spent the whole day working outside in the chicken pen! We are getting ready to spread the grass seed! I decided that I needed a couple of chick pics, a picture of something I want to do and something I finally did! Lol

First Maggie & Little Roo...he's still my fave and he's doing so well!
View attachment 2163944

Madeleine, do any of you know what this little girl might be? She was supposed to be a French Black Copper Maran, but I'm not sure that she is!
View attachment 2163948
View attachment 2163949

I finally made a dust bath with diatomaceous earth! They haven't really started using it yet, but I'm hoping they will!
View attachment 2163953

These trellis posts are where we used to have our raspberries & Blackberries. We are going to possibly put raspberries on the set closest in the picture! For the other two, I'm thinking of a roost bar on one and a couple of swings on the other! I've seen swings for chickens, but I don't know if they would really use them!:idunno
View attachment 2163955

Your chickens are looking great, Rene!! Did you figure out what breed Madeleine is?

Glad to hear Little Roo continues to do well Rene! I don't know what Madeleine is but she sure is pretty.

I tried a swing with the flock I had in Florida. They refused to get close to it but others have posted their chickens like a swing. So, guess it just depends :confused: You can always try one and see what your birds think.
Thank you Debby! 💞
I decided to ask in the identify forum and received two responses. Because she has a crest, she could be a Silky cross or the one I'm hoping for is a Maran-Legbar cross. She might be an Olive Egger, green eggs for my basket would be so sweet! I bought her from Ranch & Home and they get them from Hoover's, so the possibility is good.
I did some reading last night & I saw that most chickens don't like swings, the same as your experience. I think I'll just make roost bars! 😊

She sure is pretty! And I have a chicken swing but they won’t touch it.. if I try to put one on it they sorta freak.... I hear you have to start them young :confused:View attachment 2164287
She is a cutie!
That's what I've learned since I posted last night! I think I'm not going to add one! Thank you! 💞

Your chickens are looking great, Rene!! Did you figure out what breed Madeleine is?
Thank you...they are a great flock! 💞

I decided to ask in the identify forum and received two responses. Because she has a crest, she could be a Silky cross or the one I'm hoping for is a Maran-Legbar cross. She might be an Olive Egger, green eggs for my basket would be so sweet! I bought her from Ranch & Home and they get them from Hoover's, so the possibility is good.

@Riv-6 So excited to see that you will be getting your new chicks! What breeds did you decide to get?

Thank you so much! They actually arrived this morning 😍 So glad they got here early. I got all sorts of breeds 😆

2 blue copper marans
1 blue cuckoo marans
2 black copper marans
1 green queen
1 barnevelder
1 blue laced red wyandotte
1 buff brahma
2 Easter egger
1 speckled sussex
1 assorted rare breed that is a buff laced polish

I got 1 blue splash marans but unfortunately it was dead upon arrival ): My polish chick keeps being picked on and now it seems pretty lethargic so if you have any suggestions on how to help it, I will take any and all!
20200528_100450.jpg

Thank you so much! They actually arrived this morning 😍 So glad they got here early. I got all sorts of breeds 😆

2 blue copper marans
1 blue cuckoo marans
2 black copper marans
1 green queen
1 barnevelder
1 blue laced red wyandotte
1 buff brahma
2 Easter egger
1 speckled sussex
1 assorted rare breed that is a buff laced polish

I got 1 blue splash marans but unfortunately it was dead upon arrival ): My polish chick keeps being picked on and now it seems pretty lethargic so if you have any suggestions on how to help it, I will take any and all! View attachment 2164732
What a great mix, I'm sorry to hear that you've already lost one! As for the one being picked on, I would try to separate it, maybe with some wire to give it a chance to recoup, but it will still remain a part of the flock, and add some electrolytes into it's water! Don't worry if you don't have an extra chick waterer or feeder, just use a small bowl with some rock or marbles in it or a jar lid! If you're not using a red bulb, I would put one in, I learned from my experience that the chicks can be more aggressive from a white light! I'm sure @NFC, Debby will confirm that!

What a great mix, I'm sorry to hear that you've already lost one! As for the one being picked on, I would try to separate it, maybe with some wire to give it a chance to recoup, but it will still remain a part of the flock, and add some electrolytes into it's water! Don't worry if you don't have an extra chick waterer or feeder, just use a small bowl with some rock or marbles in it or a jar lid! If you're not using a red bulb, I would put one in, I learned from my experience that the chicks can be more aggressive from a white light! I'm sure@NFC, Debby will confirm that!

I think Riv is using a heat plate. That's a great way to go but makes it tougher to separate one from the others without providing a separate heat source.

@Riv-6 what about a heating pad? If you have one of those, maybe you could fashion a Mama Heating Pad tent for the little one?

I think Riv is using a heat plate. That's a great way to go but makes it tougher to separate one from the others without providing a separate heat source.

@Riv-6 what about a heating pad? If you have one of those, maybe you could fashion a Mama Heating Pad tent for the little one?
Thanks Debby! I remember seeing that now! Does change things up a bit!

Back
Top Bottom