Our Neighbor loves the fox, but it's killing our Guineas!

PasqualePullets

Hatching
Jun 19, 2023
There is a GIANT fox that lives on the border of our property and our neighbors'. Recently, it killed 6 of our 9 guineas in one week (at first we thought a bonded pair had gone off to have keets, then when the next attack happened we actually SAW the fox).

We told our neighbor we were thinking of calling Animal Control to relocate it, but since the den is on their property we needed their permission. The neighbors love the fox and think it's beautiful and they don't want to remove it from its home.

We're afraid to let the remaining 3 guineas back out, but just from a few days of keeping them penned up we are starting to find ticks on ourselves again **ugh**

What are some ways you keep foxes off of your property? A fence is not an option for us and the guineas are protected at night, we just want them to be able to range during the day without worrying they will be eaten!

Guard dog(s) and fencing, particularly electric, normally work quite well at deterring foxes. You need to take the steps necessary to contain and/or protect your birds, otherwise something will kill them all eventually, if not this fox, than some other fox or another predator, or two, or three. Free ranging birds is always risky.

Animal control is unlikely to come out and remove the fox unless it's posing a direct danger to humans.

I would set out a live trap and tell your neighbors about it. Tell them they can either let you call animal control or you will trap and shoot it. They don't own the fox so they can't do anything about it if you trap it on your property. Trapping and shooting might be the more humane option, you can't relocate foxes legally in most places because they can carry rabies. Most animal control services will end up euthanizing the fox anyways, and them being caught and taken away would be more stressful than them just being caught and shot. Or you could trap it and relocate it 15+ miles away from you, but that is illegal and I cannot promote it.

It's always sad getting rid of foxes, raccoons, etc. but one life is not worth the lives of your birds.

I wouldn't say anything to the neighbor.
They do not own the fox.

I might would make an attempt to see if the fox had kits. I would set a trap on my property and try to catch the fox. Just know it is difficult but not impossible to trap one in a box style trap. Hunting and shooting may be a better way to end it quickly. Relocating just passes the problem on to someone else. I would not do that.

We have lots of gray fox here. Never had an attack because my birds do not free range but have a large enclosure so protected. You can only protect free range birds so well even so there will be loses.

Let your guineas in an area protected with electric netting. Use the kind made for poultry as it is taller than the kind made for sheep. Even if you kill this fox and her kits, there are probably other fox in the area.

There is a GIANT fox that lives on the border of our property and our neighbors'. Recently, it killed 6 of our 9 guineas in one week (at first we thought a bonded pair had gone off to have keets, then when the next attack happened we actually SAW the fox).

We told our neighbor we were thinking of calling Animal Control to relocate it, but since the den is on their property we needed their permission. The neighbors love the fox and think it's beautiful and they don't want to remove it from its home.

We're afraid to let the remaining 3 guineas back out, but just from a few days of keeping them penned up we are starting to find ticks on ourselves again **ugh**

What are some ways you keep foxes off of your property? A fence is not an option for us and the guineas are protected at night, we just want them to be able to range during the day without worrying they will be eaten!
You can purchase coyote or wolf urine and put it along the borders on a hanging wick.
If no trees then get some step in posts and hang from them.
Or trap the fox on your property and call animal control. The neighbors do not own the wildlife; if they claim otherwise- like they feed them to keep them around- then I would think YOU have rights to request/ demand reimbursement for lost livestock due to their actions.

You can purchase coyote or wolf urine and put it along the borders on a hanging wick.
If no trees then get some step in posts and hang from them.
Actually this does not work...I am a nuisance trapper and catch countless fox and other predators using the urine of the coyote. The best bet for your situation is the 3-S method.

Actually this does not work...I am a nuisance trapper and catch countless fox and other predators using the urine of the coyote. The best bet for your situation is the 3-S method.
@PasqualePullets I guess the predator urine may make things worse- I fell for convincing advertising.

@mossyoakpro Thanks for that info. I was just going to buy some wolf urine on Amaz for around the perimeter of my broiler tractor area. Glad you weighed in…plus I don’t want to lure in the local pack.
Will have to rely on the good old high voltage. 😊

The only options I see for you would be to trap the fox when it's on your property or shoot it. :confused:
I'm a big believer in shooting the bastids (foxes). However, in some locales, that is prohibited (not mine). Traps work. Havahart types do not. Leg traps, properly set and baited do. Of course, leg traps are not for catch and release. You have to dispatch them.

Back
Top Bottom