Our new chicken coop!!!

billyamy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Metamora, Michigan
Over the last week, my husband and I have been building our new chicken coop wall by wall in our garage. Yesterday we had a few friends over and got it all put up!

Floor laid out:

First wall:

All 4 walls up:

Roof trusses:

Finished product with corrugated roofing for rain water collection:

The only permit we had to pull was a zoning permit from our township and that was easy. It was a put together shed from Home Depot. Measures 10x10x8. We reinforced the floor joints at every 12 inches. Also, we painted the floor with non-toxic white barn paint for easy clean outs. Over this week, we will be adding ventilation, perches, and lighting. Still too cold in Michigan for the 6 weekers to stay out so we have some time to finish. Right now they are still in their oversized brooder box without a heat lamp in our garage. We have 16 total and can't wait to get this finished for them!

So, we decided to let the chicks into their new home tonight! They are getting so big! We only gave them a 2x10 foot section though. Putting in our first window tomorrow for ventilation. Left the heat lamp in the coop tonight, and it will stay there until they adjust to their new home and the Michigan weather warms up a bit.

Checked on them a few times so far and they are so calm and content! Hopefully the rest of their first night is good!!! ;-)

Over the last week, my husband and I have been building our new chicken coop wall by wall in our garage. Yesterday we had a few friends over and got it all put up!

Floor laid out:

First wall:

All 4 walls up:

Roof trusses:

Finished product with corrugated roofing for rain water collection:

The only permit we had to pull was a zoning permit from our township and that was easy. It was a put together shed from Home Depot. Measures 10x10x8. We reinforced the floor joints at every 12 inches. Also, we painted the floor with non-toxic white barn paint for easy clean outs. Over this week, we will be adding ventilation, perches, and lighting. Still too cold in Michigan for the 6 weekers to stay out so we have some time to finish. Right now they are still in their oversized brooder box without a heat lamp in our garage. We have 16 total and can't wait to get this finished for them!
Sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted.

Update on our progress so far - Shed is painted, 1 window is installed, chickens have perch rods and lots of room. We have built a wall inside the coop with a door to have a storage area inside. We also installed a solar motion detection light.

Tonight we are working on the chicken door to the run and this weekend we will be installing the run :)

Nice work! You might want to make those roosts a bit larger once your birds grow up some...most folks use 2x2 or 2x4 flat side up.

Nice work! You might want to make those roosts a bit larger once your birds grow up some...most folks use 2x2 or 2x4 flat side up.
I'd thought about it and now that you have mentioned it I might consider it sooner than later. They didn't use the perches as much as I had anticipated and its a shame considering the dowels were the most expensive.

I have lots of 2X4's laying around, if they don't start using it I might integrate a couple and see if it changes.

Billy

Back
Top Bottom