Our new Chicken Tractor [4-Chicken Red Barn Style]

JerzeyTransplant

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Blount County
Hey everyone. My GF Kelly an I are new to the chicken game. We just moved to East, TN from Jacksonville, FL and have tons of room to grow and raise all kinds of stuff not possible living in an apartment.

We've wanted chickens for a while. I've never had them or really been around them at all growing up but she had some as a child. After we got settled in to our new home we got to work on a coop for some hens. I love eating eggs and we both love pets so chickens seem like a good fit (Pets with benefits).

We have a big yard (over an acre) but I still wanted it to be mobile so we can move it depending on the weather, predators, etc. We didn't want too many eggs so we figured 4 chickens would suffice.

So it begins....

Bring on the paint!

The ROOST

Our Lab Nola checkin out her new girlfriends. I hope she's got the protector/ flock watcher in her

They seem to enjoy it

I'm happy with the outcome, I don't have any regrets...yet. I guess I wish I could have saved some money I suppose. I know they've got plenty of ventilation for the summer. When winter comes I plan on covering up the two side vents with some plywood to stop the breeze. The birds seem happy and so are we soooo SUCCESS.

It looks great! I need to build one soon.
Just a suggestion, you could use plexi-glass to close up the vents when needed with hinges and locks. I saw some coops like that and thought it was neat to still have the light come in to warm up the coop in the winter.

Last edited:
Very nice
clap.gif

Thanks, plexiglass is a good idea. I've got some left over from a picture frame, enough for one side anyways. Maybe I can scrounge another piece in time for winter.

Back
Top Bottom