Our new Chicken Tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FlatcreekFarmGirl, Sep 15, 2009.

1. FlatcreekFarmGirl

FlatcreekFarmGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Flatcreek
    We are just finishing up on our 1st chicken tractor. It is so heavy that we have to use our Ford truck to push it. The top measurements are 8' x 6' x 4'. The bottom is 12' x 6' x 2'. The roof has shingles. It took alot of hard work and money but we are happy with it. We have 8 hens ( 2 Red Stars, 3 Silver laced Wyndottes, 2 Golden laced Wyndottes, 1 Brown leghorn) and 2 Roosters (both Brown leghorns). They all seem so happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    They sure look happy to be out on the grass!

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Nice tractor and I'm sure it took lots of work and money! DH built me a 4 by 12 unit (coop is 4 by 6) with shingles etc. & it is heavy & cost lots! We used a trailer jack & a floating axle with 2 golf cart wheels. We can move it with 2 people using a handcart under the front. If we are only moving 12 feet ahead it is easy, but if we have to turn or back it up for repositioning it is harder. With 25 bantams still in it (roosters got to go) we are moving it every 2 days. When we are down to 8 birds, I think it will last about a week without being moved.

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Nice! [​IMG]

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Very nice green grass for your lucky chicks.

Good job using hardware cloth instead of chicken wire.

Thank you for sharing.

6. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    How do you use a pickup to safely move your tractor? Mines 5x11, too heavy or poorly placed wheels to move myself. I once lost my temper with it. bent the hitch on the lawnmower; it just spun its wheels. So I really got miffed and yanked it with the truck. Not something I care to repeat the way I did it.

cindy in pa, what is a floating axle? could you please post a photo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by