1. Bill in Hamlet

Bill in Hamlet Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Hamlet,NC
    Hey ya’ll,

Well I missed going to the boat on my six days off. I picked up a rooster from a coworker, Thanks Marty, and my buddy Mal sacrificed his six off, and together we built the Taj- Mahal for “Dumplin”. He’s enjoying his new dig’s and is in need of some ladies. We plan on getting him four of them. After they become accustomed to the coop we will let them free range during the day. My Daughter asked me the other day about our plan to move aboard our sailboat after we upgrade to a live aboard, and how the chickens will fit into that scenario. With a wry smile, I said Tupperware.. I plan to finish this project on my next days off.

Fair Winds,

Bill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    What a beautiful coop!!! [​IMG]

3. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Wow! What a nice place for your birds.

4. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I love it! What kind of girls are you going to get for Mr. Dumpling?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Beautiful. You guys should hire out as professional coop makers. Maybe you could give up the day jobs. I'm looking at the photos and thinking I'd have a fit when the chickens mess it up.

Your roo won't have any trouble attracting gorgeous chicks when they see his pad.

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Nice! I see you are from the Chicken Capitol of NC! I'm over in Stanley

7. Bill in Hamlet

Sep 14, 2009
    Hamlet,NC
    Thanx ya'll

We have four Buff orp hens coming that were raised with him so he will be comfortable and familiar with them. Two are already laying. I put down some DE in the coop and pen today $21.80 for 2.5#. The feed store said that if I liked it I could purchase 50# for $27.00 plus $20.00 for shipping. I will probably get some Stall-Dry too. We are still learning and appreciate your advice and encouragement. [​IMG]

The pen is 5x7 and the Coop 3x5 is 5 birds to many for this area? Eventually I will let them free range for a couple of hour at night. We are still waiting for the birds and our dogs to adjust.

Fair winds,

Bill

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

If you don't mind the drive, Bell Farm Store, Moganton 50# bags $25. I bought 100# about 2 years ago and just now getting to the bottom of the barrell.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:WOWZA!!! So $47 for a 50 lb. bag of DE???? I would make calls elsewhere. I paid $29 (which I thought was kind of high) and she ordered it for me...no shipping. Also, you might try local garden nurseries; they sometimes carry it if you can't find a cheaper feed store.

GREAT coop!! I'm sure you'll have some happy hens and one happy roo!![​IMG]

10. Bill in Hamlet

Sep 14, 2009
    Hamlet,NC
    Quote:Could you please give me an address. I am unfamiliar with this store.

Fair Winds,

Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by