Our only chick is being pecked enough to bleed, please help!

Shunky

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
Our two bantam hens went broody after our rooster ran away, so we got 1 fertilized egg for both of them. One of them hatched and we're not sure which hen hatched it. The other egg was a dudd and didn't hatch at all. The baby was fine for a few days, as it's only a few days old, but ever since the two hens started bringing it out into their pen and letting it explore outside the nest one of them has been pecking it hard enough to make it bleed. We tried moving the chick and the one that wasn't pecking it to a cage right next to the other hen's pen but the hen with the chick only ignored the baby and tried to get back in the pen with the other hen, only going in with the baby every minute or so. So we put te chick with the other hen and she was being the more motherly one, clucking to the baby and herding it near her but she was still pecking it pretty hard. So we ended up just moving the other hen back into the pen. What is going on? Why is one hen being mean, the other ignoring it(baisically) and how do I get them to stop? Or is the one pecking the baby just trying to teach it to stay away from certain things and stay near her? The chick is a different breed chicken and the two hens have been together since they were tiny little chicks. Please help? I really don't want the baby getting hurt too bad and dying, since they sat n the eggs for weeks to hatch them.

from my limited knowledge it seems like chickens are 'attracted' to the color of blood and will peck at it. Maybe removing the chick entirely from the others? She's too young to defend herself, might have to keep her separated until she's big enough to put her back in with the rest/.

We thought of that as well, but we have the issue of her warmth. Thanks for the reply! We would, and we most likely will end up doing that if they don't stop, but we don't want her to be totally alone.... or freak the hens out.
smile.png
If I don't get any other replies and they're still being mean tomorrow I think we'll have to.

Back
Top Bottom