Our pup fell in the pool!!!! Close call!

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
I looked over whnen my dad let the dogs in and saw something dark come through the door - Our 1 1/2 year old schnauzer pup was soaking wet!

We put her in the warm tub, washed her, and have her near the heater.

I went outside and she had fallen in at the divng board and swap all the way to the steps! SHe fell in once when we first got her but hasnt fallen in again since. Well till tonight.

We are just so thankful she got out all right! We would have been heartbroken if she had drowned. From now on we are going out with her.

I have had that happen to my MinPin and Rat terrier... we have an above ground pool and they would go up on the deck, when I let them out to potty, to drink out of the pool. We have since put a fence around the pool and gates at each set of steps. I am glad she managed to get to the steps and make it out!!

Happy to hear she is all right....
big_smile.png

my pup did that last winter too!!... thank god something told me to go check on the dogs outside..
th.gif

Glad hes okay!
hugs.gif

I saw a show where that talked about training and dog skills and they said that people often forget to give thier dogs swimming lessons. They said a lot of dogs drown in pools because they are running along and end up unexpectedly in the water. Often dogs that have not learned to swim just struggle and sink to the bottom and drown. Besides fencing and providing a ramp in your pool, you should also give your dog swimming lessons just in case. Keep in mind that a dog can only swim for a while until he becomes exhausted, so make sure to devise a way for the dog to get out of the pool & show him how.

For pets, it's important not only to teach them how to swim, but to have some way (some visual signal) to make it very easy for them to FIND the steps. Something they can see from eye level in the pool. Like flowerpots that are always left by the steps or something. Otherwise they might swim around frantically without finding the steps, and become exhausted and drown.

Glad he's ok!

My neighbor's miniature poodle however wasn't so lucky. He was very old and very frail. I think he was 13 years old. They lifted up their pool cover one morning and found him floating in the pool. His eyesight was going bad so I imagine he didn't see the edge and fell in.

Keep on a good eye on her!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom