Hen fell in pool

Emery03

Chirping
Sep 8, 2019
My hen fell in our swimming pool and was in there for almost an hour. I am in Florida, so it’s not very cold but definitely cool enough to cause hypothermia. She was floating when we found her, she seemed exhausted. We put her on a heating pad and put her in a box in a dark quiet room. She is very lethargic and her breathing has a rasp to it. Any suggestions at all are greatly greatly appreciated.

Well that sounds like an ordeal. I had a squirrel do that once, poor thing just took a nap right where I set it on the ground for an hour before getting up high to where it felt safe. I can't give you much advice other than keeping her warm seems to me the thing to do.

Well that sounds like an ordeal. I had a squirrel do that once, poor thing just took a nap right where I set it on the ground for an hour before getting up high to where it felt safe. I can't give you much advice other than keeping her warm seems to me the thing to do.
I figured warmth would be the best possible thing. I am debating on giving her VetRX but I am unsure if it will hinder her inhibition to breath or not.

How old is your hen? And did she have any health problems prior to falling in the pool? I think rest and quiet is the best thing for the poor girl, she's been through quite an adventure. You could try VetRx, as it probably wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't do it if it seems to stress her out more. Pretty much all you can do at this point is wait for her to hopefully gain her strength back and recover.

How old is your hen? And did she have any health problems prior to falling in the pool? I think rest and quiet is the best thing for the poor girl, she's been through quite an adventure. You could try VetRx, as it probably wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't do it if it seems to stress her out more. Pretty much all you can do at this point is wait for her to hopefully gain her strength back and recover.
She’s only about 2 years old. She doesn’t have any existing health issues that I’m aware of. Her sister passed away from Ascites complications a few months back but I believe that was an isolated case. We just checked on her and she has her energy back and is acting like herself *thank god* she did do a few chicken coughs and sneezes so I’m hoping that’s her working any water that may have gotten into her lungs out.

She’s only about 2 years old. She doesn’t have any existing health issues that I’m aware of. Her sister passed away from Ascites complications a few months back but I believe that was an isolated case. We just checked on her and she has her energy back and is acting like herself *thank god* she did do a few chicken coughs and sneezes so I’m hoping that’s her working any water that may have gotten into her lungs out.
Glad to hear she’s feeling better. One of our Wyandottes fell in our pool last week. Never saw her land or struggle to get out, it happened so fast. We heard a splash but thankfully she got herself out super fast. Didn’t realize how lucky we were. Again glad your hen is back to herself 😊

My hen fell in our swimming pool and was in there for almost an hour. I am in Florida, so it’s not very cold but definitely cool enough to cause hypothermia. She was floating when we found her, she seemed exhausted. We put her on a heating pad and put her in a box in a dark quiet room. She is very lethargic and her breathing has a rasp to it. Any suggestions at all are greatly greatly appreciated.
Make sure she is dry under her wings. I get them sat on the floor on a towel and dry under their wings with tissues. If you lift both wings together and let them down keeping your fingers underneath and repeat as if she was flying, this helps dry her and helps pump air into her lungs.
Keep her warm.
I keep them awake until I've seen them eat. Tuna, lean meat, scrabbled egg, in fact anything that she is likely to like.
Once they've shown some interest in food and they're dryish they have ime survived.

Glad to hear she’s feeling better. One of our Wyandottes fell in our pool last week. Never saw her land or struggle to get out, it happened so fast. We heard a splash but thankfully she got herself out super fast. Didn’t realize how lucky we were. Again glad your hen is back to herself 😊
Thank you, it’s pretty terrifying for all parties involved haha. But I appreciate your comments and concern.

Make sure she is dry under her wings. I get them sat on the floor on a towel and dry under their wings with tissues. If you lift both wings together and let them down keeping your fingers underneath and repeat as if she was flying, this helps dry her and helps pump air into her lungs.
Keep her warm.
I keep them awake until I've seen them eat. Tuna, lean meat, scrabbled egg, in fact anything that she is likely to like.
Once they've shown some interest in food and they're dryish they have ime survived.
So she was just a bit ago eating some feed. Do you think that is good enough or should I make her something else? She was sneezing and getting some stuff up.

Back
Top Bottom