Our TSC is getting chicks in today....uh-oh

Quote:
I have seen my neighbors buy their toddlers numerous easter chicks. The birds are squezzed and carried every where. At the end of the day you can find the dead chick in some plastic bucket where it has fried in the heat. That the problem with toddlers having "pet" chickens.
rant.gif

The TSC down the road from us sold out of pullets in five hours.
My ds and I were there to pick up a few things and they had just received the order and were placing them in the tubs. We went back later in the afternoon to get some pullets and they were all gone. Tears were shed.
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I have seen my neighbors buy their toddlers numerous easter chicks. The birds are squezzed and carried every where. At the end of the day you can find the dead chick in some plastic bucket where it has fried in the heat. That the problem with toddlers having "pet" chickens.
rant.gif

No THAT'S the problem of having stupid parents. My sister and I got chicks for Easter twice when we were little. Our parents made certain that they weren't THAT abused. Granted a chick probably doesn't enjoy being toted about by the wee ones but I am certain that some of the fascination with and love of poultry that I still have today come from those early experiences with them. You can't fix the worlds problems by protecting people from making stupid mistakes. Bad people do bad things if you take away one opportunity to be bad they'll just find another way.
duc.gif

only the georgetown TSC store in ky had that 6-minimum sign up today. the lawrenceburg and shelbyville stores didn't have a sign. and we bought just four ducks at the shelbyville store and no one stopped us. is it a statewide law or just fayette county?

Last edited:
there is a difference by a 6 chick order and a buying of 6 chicks minimum.
the 6 chick order is understandable, if they order say 25 with 3 people wanting 6 chicks that leaves them with7 chicks they need to find buyers for, yes its easily done. no one can pass a chick and not bring it home.
but as the 6 chick minimum to buy if they already placed an order and gotten chicks in with no pre buy is a rip off.
If you live in an area where 3 chickens is the max allowed no store can make you purchase 6 chicks.
it isnt a law is a store policy to ensure they will not " get stuck" with extra chicks.
Most TSC stores are new to having chicks for sale and there for havent gotten the idea that 50 chicks in will not be 50 chicks left at the end of 2 days.

Most places have gone to pre orders and you either pay before or at pick up. our local Agway does it this way, I believe the only pre order amount is 25 guinia hens, and 6 duck geese, chickens have no min.
Blue Seal has a special order right now that is a min of 5 chicks order, but these are for fancy and had to obtain chicks.
Blue Seal is the first feed store in my area to offer Jersy Giants (black) I was thrilled and ordered 10. we wont discuss what the other $70.00 went for for chicks lol.

Quote:
Because a single chick is a lonely chick! Chickens are social animals and need the support of a flock. I'm paraphrasing Gail Damerow (whose books I love!)

Quote:
I saw the chicks at the Gtown TSC. Reds and Yellows. I wonder if they can be sexed by wing feathers? Maybe the reds if they're a sex link. They were straight run so I didn't want to chance it!

Quote:
Because a single chick is a lonely chick! Chickens are social animals and need the support of a flock. I'm paraphrasing Gail Damerow (whose books I love!)

I was just annoyed because I explained to the manager that I already had 9 chicks (from Ideal) and simply wanted to replace the 3 that were DOA since they had some Light Brahmas. He still insisted that it was a KY state law that he could not sell me less that 6 chicks. Since I don't have room for more than 12 to be comfortable, that wasn't an option.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom