Our TSC is getting chicks in today....uh-oh

Going to TSC today!I have a whole list of stuff i need to get lol my mom says chicks are not on that list. She says 12 is enough. But my dad caught the chicken bug so maybe i will be able to pick up a few!

I know that RIR's can be sexed with the wing tip method. That's how I sold off all my extra RIR roos (3) from my straight run assortment and ended up with 1 roo and 5 hens.

There are only a handful that can't be sexed by their wings. Silkies are one of them, so if I get any silkies, they will be colors that I won't mind having a rooster in.

Luckily, we live on five acres and our neighbors love fresh eggs once per week. lol. My chickens are also much better behaved than one of the other neighbors bantams. When I free range, the chickens know where the property line is (either that or they don't want to get too far away from their feeders). I've had bantams from our other neighbor (1/2 mile away) show up here at feeding time. I'll make sure they eat, but not when they're on my property, then I'll hike them back home. At least his chickens are sweet.

My only mean roo (out of the 11 full grown ones) is my RIR, and he is locked up with his five RIR hens to keep him busy. All of the rest of them are too interested in trying to be picked up and fed treats!

Anyway, they said that the chicks would definatly be in between 8:30 and 9:30 - depended on how quickly they could get them out onto the sales floor. It's 8:15 now. I don't think that the cashier I was speaking to yesterday understood that, since this is a rural area, 300 chicks won't last but about an hour once people get wind of them being there.

Well, TSC didn't get chicks in today.....BUT

Yeah, you knew that "but" was comin!

We now have six new ducklings! I think that I have two Khaki Campbells and four pekins. I was hoping for more Khaki's, but all they had otherwise was mallards, and I do not need any more mallards!

Anyway, you guys love pictures, so here's two for now. The larger one is my 1 1/2 week old mallard out of my ducks.

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

Last edited:
Chicks finally came in! Here's a photo of the 12 new babies. Some are hiding, but I have three RIR, 2 Buff Orpingtons (I think, they were in an "assorted reds" bin), 1 blue cochin, 1 buff cochin, 1 cochin that I don't know the color of, 3 snow white bantams, and 1 that looks almost like a bobwhite quail chick!

IMG_1965.jpg

Hi there. I went to my TSC yesterday and got:::

2 amerucana pullets
1 black sex link pullet
1 gold sex link pullet
1 astralorp (sp)
2 cornish rocks st run
1 new hampshire st run
5 furry leg bantams st run
1 clean leg bantams st run

The week before I got from a different feed store::

2 red frizzle bantams st run
2 d'ccule bantams st run--sadly one died

I am sure that now I have really gone crazy. I bought a chicken hutch from TSC and then had another one made by a local person. I have just gone crazy for chickens!!!!!!!!

Rene'

I just got back from there. The ducks were ok. Not many left. The bantams were just awful. They were dying everywhere. The temp was so low. They really need to get some ppl who know what there doing. The silkies looked good. The others were not going to make it. So sad.
barnie.gif

Quote:
A pet chicken is what my dh gave our older dd for her 2nd birthday. She wasn't responsible for its care, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom