Our Under the Deck Coop

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Happy you joined us!
smile.png

Sorry to bring up such a old thread, but I have this exact idea that I want to do with my deck with 2 chickens that I have.  Was wondering if you had any updates to your coop and if you have any updated photos to share id love to see them!

I noticed on the posting from the person whose coop you like that they posted on this site only 3 times and that was three years ago. It's not likely they will ever read your question as they don't seem to visit BYC any longer. But if you send them a private message it will go to their email account. If that is still active they might respond. Good luck to you.

I noticed on the posting from the person whose coop you like that they posted on this site only 3 times and that was three years ago. It's not likely they will ever read your question as they don't seem to visit BYC any longer. But if you send them a private message it will go to their email account. If that is still active they might respond. Good luck to you.

I noticed also but they last logged in last week so maybe they lerk around still. But I will PM them good idea.

Hi suburbanchkn....thanks for the message. No, I don't log-in and post much but I do still "lurk around" as posted below. I have not made a ton of changes to the overall structure but did add a few roosting bars in the run. I am happy to post new pics of anything - just let me know what you would like to see. I started a new flock about 14 weeks ago, so I have some new birds too...

The set-up has worked out great. The only thing is I really have to say on top of the clean-up...otherwise the smell can creep into the house if we have the windows open. Otherwise I think this is a great use of space that is otherwise wasted by most homeowners.

Thanks!

And now I'm restarting the thread lol I'm so excited to find someone who has actually done this for a period of time! I also have a raised deck. I've been wanting chickens for many years, but my yard is hilly, so finding level ground is an issue (along with other reasons.) But under my deck is perfect! I have so many questions.

How often do you clean up to keep it from smelling? The chickens are my thing and my husband's computer is right next to the window(which is at the deck) , so I'm trying to guage how difficult it will be to keep him from smelling it from there.

Are you still using sand? So I'm assuming you sift it like a litter box?

Are they very noisy so close to your house?

Have you noticed them attracting mice?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but why did you remove the rocks before applying sand? I currently have pea gravel.

Do you remember what the project cost you, minus the coop?

Thank you!!!!

Back
Top Bottom