Our very first hawk.....didn't last too long~

Ruthie was treated to fresh sprigs of catnip, milk, and some tuna (didnt have any salmon!) so she was one VERY happy cat!
big_smile.png
I have checked her for wounds and havnt found any. Also, her leg is less swollen today and she's not really limping too much. She must be feelin better cuz she bought me her "gifts" of two mice and a toad left on my porch today.
roll.png

I'm sorry I had you all scared for ChickenDuck. But, trust me on this if I ever lost (or loose) him, I would need some pretty major support here...
sad.png
I'm glad to see I'd have it when I need it. Hopefully, not for many years....

Wow what a near miss that was. Your beautiful cat saved the day and so did chickenduck.
I would say Ruthy knew you were in trouble and she came to the rescue. They can read your mind so tell her telepathically how clever she is!!!What breed is she?
Cats are great chickensitters.
You had me very worried there when chickenduck was in his sights.
Well done.

I just can't get over it! I've never heard of a cat taking on a hawk before! What a fantastic cat (and story). Oh my, Chickenduck! He's probably the most famous chicken on this site. Soooo glad he and the girls are okay! Question: How did you come up with the name Chickenduck? I LOVE it!!!

My 8 year old daughter gets the credit for coming up with the name (now growing famous!) of ChickenDuck.
big_smile.png

It started when we got them, and one chick stood out because it looked like a baby duck! I started jokingly calling him Duck (which is kinda like calling a cat Dog...lol) and my daughter one day says "Well, he's a chicken not a duck, Mom!" and as we named all of our other chickens a name that had the word Chicken come before it (like Nugget, Noodle, etc) she looked at him and said "Ok, so he's a ChickenDuck!" and it stuck! People all around my small town know of ChickenDuck and often call or come by to see how he's doing.
big_smile.png
I have been told I will be bannished from town if we ever eat him!
tongue.png

Here's the side by side pic we did of him so you can see where we saw the duck-like resemblance in him!

chickenducksidebyside.jpg

OMG!!!!!!
th.gif
ep.gif
I just had to take my own pulse....122 just so you know. Sometimes being a nurse is good. When you screamed "Chickenduck" I screamed and scared the bajeebies out of one of my dogs.
duc.gif
Oh Ruthie, Ruthie, Ruthie! 4H I need your address so I can send her a treat!
woot.gif
I bet you were scared "you know what". With all this commotion, did any of your lil nappers wake up? Or would you have been able to hear them on the monitor through all this? I'm glad to hear her leg is not quite as swollen. Have you called your vet just to ask what any potential problems could be associated with a wild bird attack? I know (besides the obvious of tallons), I wouldn't have a clue as to other possible dangerous scenerios could come from a confrontation like that. How did the goats react....just curious about that one.

Give Ruthie a good scratch behind the ears and under her chin from me and tell her my cat Rowdie gives her a "2 paws up".
hugs.gif

Wow 4H Mom, thanks for almost killing me this beautiful Sunday morning...
big_smile.png
Soooo glad ChickenDuck is okay and give that kitty a kiss for me! Our barn cat (Barn Kitty) likes to snuggle up in the nest boxes, which gets him a chicken cussing from the girls, but he used to actually curl up with eggs and at one time, a baby chick and go to sleep, purring. I plan to write a book about it - you should write one about Ruthie, the Courageous Hawker! It'll prove you're never too small (or of a different species) to make a difference! ~ Oaknim

That was totally a different outcome than i expected reading your story. Great build up... What a cat... You got some great animals there...

Norm in N.CA
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom