Out and out meat birds?

I see you are from the UK, I don't know what kinds of different breeds you can get there. Freedom Rangers are slow growers at about 12 weeks. I have some currently with some Cornish X's that will be butchered in a week and 1/2. Maybe you could do a search on fast growing traditional chickens in your area.

That was the original purpose of the Delaware, but now they're more dual purpose. Most "traditional" breeds will be dual purpose and tend to grow slower. Fast growing meat birds that don't need to be able to naturally reproduce are a modern invention.

You could try some Cornish, but I hear they are slow growers so I don't know if it's what you're looking for. They are bred mainly for exhibition now, I believe...

Oh yeah how rude am I
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Michele

Do they breed cornish cross or freedom rangers in England? If not, maybe just plain old cornish; I think they come in dark and white here. Or maybe they breed Cobbs over there.

Blue Man Dan. :

am i right in thinking a Cornish is another name for an Indian game? How big would an indian game be at around 16 weeks?
Dam=n

Yes, you are correct, and not very big. 2 or 3 pounds maybe. Their main appeal is their breast meat. I found by crossing a Cornish roo over some big Rhode Island Red hens, you can get a really nice bird for the table. Cornish breast with a RIR frame.​

Quote:
Yes, you are correct, and not very big. 2 or 3 pounds maybe. Their main appeal is their breast meat. I found by crossing a Cornish roo over some big Rhode Island Red hens, you can get a really nice bird for the table. Cornish breast with a RIR frame.

Cornish, aka Indian Game are a pretty hefty, solid bird with a nice wide breast, but not a fast grower, you'd be looking at 20 weeks or so to produce one decently sized for the table.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom