1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Out of chick feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Corey NC, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I am out of chick feed and won't be able to get to the feed store for two days. Is it too early to switch my 15 weekers to the layer's pellets? If it is too early is it ok for them to eat it for two days until I can get to the feed store?

2. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    some feed is always better than no feed. dont' worry. just do it.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I went ahead and started mixing the chick and layer feed together when my girls hit 17 weeks. This last fill up was all layer feed.

Haven't started giving calcium/oyster shell yet - will hold off on THAT until I get that first egg...

I think they will be fine. Better layer feed than no feed!

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I agree, just do it, perhaps you can give them some rice or pasta as well just to break it up!
    My chicks always get into mummas feed at that age and it does them no harm that I can see.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If it was me, I'd give the layer feed for a couple of days and then put them back on non-layer when you can get some, until they actually start laying. Depending on the breed, it could be as much as 2 months before they start to lay.

6. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:my chicks are 6 weeks old and they eat the same as the other girls. A mixture of mash, pellets, grains, free reange.

I keep them on chick mash for 2-3 weeks, mixing in some layer pellets and mixing it with warm water into a runny paste.

They seem to do ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by