out of control

AtRendeAcres

Songster
12 Years
May 23, 2007
Clarion County
my hatch with bantam eggs doesn't look promising!

I was really looking forward to those little Blue Orpington Banties! SOOO!

I called Ideal who is shipping me a birthday order on 2/6 & added 5 Blue Wyandotte Bantam!

Mind you this was birthday order my mother put in for myself & 2 daughters we are each getting 6 chickens!

Well last week I called an put the bill in my name so I could add 10 RIR
(((this was strictly for the survival of the chickens)))

I did mention to DH we should probably keep a few because they are good layers & we could breed black sexlinks & sell them to cover our feed cost!

I also reminded him that we won’t be ordering any other chickens for a while!

That was why I got the incubator for Christmas so we could hatch our own & not bring in new germs!

Well I would ask if there is a support group to help with my addiction but, my luck it would be at a breeders house

Is anybody out there as bad?

I originally came to this forum because my SO said I could have a 'few' chickens. Well, a few chickens has turned into 12; which still isn't bad. Except that I'm now also going to get a roo and 6 runner ducks. I look fondly at the bators whenever we go to Atwoods, but I'm using restraint.

Haha, I just had to knock myself out of Ideal's site, so as not to add some mottled cochins
roll.png

Then I had to sit on my hands when looking at eggs, since I already am going to have a bator full.

Plus my little cochin boy just started crowing, so I'm sure he'll be trying to romance the girls fairly soon. He is sooo cute!

My poor hubby....

Control is HIGHLY overrated. I'm adding 26 new birds to my flock...and promised I wouldn't get any more any time soon.

Of course, I defined 26 as "several"...that's several, right?
wink.png

LOL several is more than a few but less than many.

Besides, I am getting several...different breeds!
wink.png
Control (or lack thereof) is all in the details.

And there is a support group for this addiction...it's called the BYC forums!!!
big_smile.png

Oh yea! I know what you mean. We were only going to keep about 5-8 chickens out of our order of 16 that came in last spring, but I couldn't part with any of them.

This spring I was not going to get any b/c I wanted to finish our coop and redesign the run. I was doing really good w/ resisting, but now I have baby chick fever and want to get something.

My daughter wants some kind of bantams, so what I ever I get I'm going to blame it all on her.
lol.png

I think I'm going to try my hand at hatching if I can find the eggs that I want this late in the game.

Hey, I just came here for information when we got our mutt chicks from DH's dad. I was trying to figure out who was a roo and who wasn't. A year later, after those mutts didn't lay a single egg from Oct to Jan, I keep fighting the urge to add to orders, or make new orders...I keep losing. I just ordered more today. I couldn't wait for my first order to arrive the end of February. And I threw some runner ducks in for good measure. I knew I would never be able to talk DH into a bator so I am getting some evil silkies to do the job. I am done now. Done. Nothing new for at least a year. New from ordering that is...I never said anything about not hatching my own.

At the beginning of last year I had about 30 chickens. I had blue, black and buff ameraucanas for breeding and extra roos in roo cages.

Now I have about 150 which includes some new silvers, whites, wheatens and blue wheatens. I also got some delawares just for laying.

There are also 15 runners and 6 sebastopols. And, I just had my husband shell out a wad of dough for my new building. I need to go to a "meeting"........

Is there a step method for this addiction also?

Jean

PS I have ordered brown red ameraucana chicks and some LF silver pencilled and partridge wyandottes cause they're pretty!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom