Out of feed until Sunday when my feed order comes in

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by write2caroline, Dec 23, 2009.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I am out of feed until Sunday when my feed order comes in - I have enough 3-way scratch and I let them supervised free range twice a day for a couple hours - We had a fox try to take my rooster so I feel I need to be a big discouragement to predators not to mention the occasional dog.

I have rolled oats and Hard boiled eggs to feed them - should I range them longer maybe?

Any suggestions?

Chicken Swap meet is Sunday and my order will be in then so I really want to wait.

Caroline

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

They were fed less than that in the "good ole days". That will be fine. A friend goes to our local grocery store & picks up old fruits & veggie scrap for his flock.

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    All you said and your leftovers should hold them over... Mine get all food scraps and dont eat very much layer feed...

4. Pepper

Pepper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2008
    The Springs NY
    When I unexpectedly run out - I cook up some brown/white rice and/or barley, oats, quinoa or whatever grains I do happen to have in the house. I think they love the change up in feed.

5. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    It's the holidays!!!!! Make them a big pot of chili and fill their waterer with eggnog [​IMG]

6. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    got any yogurt, cottage cheese, cat food, spaghetti?

7. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Quote:Oh God... the thought of the kind of chicken indigestion that'd cause... I hope someone else cleans the coop!

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Spaghetti with meat sauce is a favorite around here. Just avoid the garlic toast....[​IMG]

I would say they would be fine...just supplement them with house scraps of veggies and such. Maybe some oatmeal cooked up.

9. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    It's the holidays!!!!! Make them a big pot of chili and fill their waterer with eggnog

OMGOSH that made me laugh!!! [​IMG]

Thanks - I will scraps feed and oatmeal them till Sunday.

I just came in from letting them free range - Their crops get so full - I know people say they don't overeat but mine look like they have balloons after free ranging hidden under their feathers. They love the little weeds and bugs in the grass. [​IMG]

Caroline [​IMG]

10. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I want to try the spaghetti for a treat. The question is, do you cut it up or leave it in whole long lengths?

Thanks,

Dave

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by