Out of oyster shell! What else will work?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mollymadethis, Jan 2, 2010.

1. mollymadethis

mollymadethis Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    We have run out of Oyster shells:( for a week or so, and the last egg was paper thin. Snowing in Maine and won't get to the feed store till Monday, what is a good substitute for calcium when the snow is falling and we are stuck at home?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

crushed egg shells...

3. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    How small does the "crushed" shell need to be? Size of rice, eraser head or larger?

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Doesn't have to be crushed. I feed eggshells to my finches. Just big ol' halves so it won't go through the bars of their cages. They snip off what they need with their beaks.

5. Poulets De Cajun

I used to crush it up fairly well, until it was in small(ish) pieces. If I had to guess, probably a little larger than a grain of rice. And then I'd zap them in the microwave for a few minutes to kill off any germs/diseases that may be on them.

6. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I don't supplement with oyster shells at all. I just rinse the eggshells and crush with my fingers. Some pieces are large, some are small. I don't cook them. The girls love them, and my shells are nice and thick.

7. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    I crush the half's in my hand and put in most of the time the half's are still together so it will be easier for them to pick apart

8. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    If you can get to one of those 24 hour gas station/mart you could crush a TUMS and put it in their food. Try the unflavored ones without artificial sweetener.

I have heard that one of the concerns about feeding eggshells back to the hens is that there's a danger of promoting egg eating yet many people here do just that. I think that's why it's recommended to crush them well; so that it's unrecognizable as an egg by the chickens. So I'm not sure what the actual situation is.

Mary

9. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    I crush egg shells in my hand, just to break them up and then mix them in with their morning warm oatmeal. I also throw in any veggie left from dinner the night before, and if we're long on eggs, I mix a couple of these in too. I end up with about 5-6 cups of warm mix for fifteen hens and they've cleaned it all up, including calcium rich egg shells, within a half hour or so. I start the mixture out with about a cup of cheapest available dry milk powder, adding additional nutrient/calcium. By the way, I keep my Silkies separate from the big hens. They are picky about added treats, but they relish a cup of this each frigid morning. ~G

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  10. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:Someone paid attention in chicken class.... well done!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by