1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Out of the Brooder, Into the Coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Linda in San Diego, May 18, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    My Delightful Dozen were moved out of the furniture box in the kitchen and into their new diggs. All day they had the run of their run, plenty of dirt and stuff to peck at. Tonight they are in their [just completed] coop. They have a nightlight but no heat lamp. It won't get any cooler than 65 degrees tonight. I am, of course, concerned that they might need the extra heat? What temp would be best? It was soo hot here today, that the idea of adding heat sounds bad, but will they be ok?

2. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    How old are they? If they are 7-8 weeks they will be fine, much younger than that and I would put a heat lamp out there to keep the temp 75 or so, especially if this will be a big temperature change for them (like if they are used to 80 and all of a sudden it is 65).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by