Out of the brooder...Last minute advice?

Yay Chicks!

Songster
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Forest Grove, OR
Getting ready to move my four, 6+ week old chicks from the brooder to the coop with attached run. Just finishing up some last minute details.
Now, I know everyone has opinions about what to put down on the ground. Right now it is dirt with a bit of grass under a covered run. I have some dry leaves from the fall. Would that be a good idea? Many people like sand, but won't I be wasting a lot of sand when I clean out the poop?
Am also wondering about DE. If you use it, how much? I know it's used for mites and lice, but would it also kill the bugs that they want to eat?
They have just been eating chick crumbles so far. When I move them out should I add chick grit to their food or put a dish out?
Lots of questions, I know.
Thanks for your help!

I moved mine out at 5 weeks and tossed litter (pine shavings) to cover the dirt at first. After 2 days in the coop and run I started letting them free range during the day and have not added anything to the run...they seem to like the bare ground and take their dust baths and go nuts fighting over the occasional earthworm that pops up. Everyone has their own ways of making their flock happy so experiment and keep with what works for you.

Just my .02 cents

I usually just use a plastic rake and scratch the surface of the whole run. I put it in the wheelbarrow (it's usually less than a shovel full) and take it over to the compost pile.

Yay Chicks! :

How do you manage poop clean up on the bare ground?

Leaves are your best bet, they will scratch in them and it will turn the leaves and poo into dirt, this is what i put in my nesting area when it is going to rain, it keeps the chickens feet clean,so i don't get dirty eggs,in 3 days the leaves are ground into dirt by the chickens.​

not sure on the DE...

For the grit, at first I mixed in 1lb of chick grit with a 20lb of Dumor starter and now add about 1lb to a 50lb because mine free range and I know they are probably getting more than enough grit in their diet. I'll probably stop giving them grit alltogether when I run out.

Well, they've been in the run for a couple of hours this afternoon and are having a great time. I have to make some last minute safety changes to the coop before they can sleep out there...hopefully tomorrow. I did put some dry leaves out there. I just cannot believe how fast they grow up!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom