Out of the three breeds- scared of roosters, which one to try?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wannabchick, Feb 23, 2011.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Yes, iam scared of roosters, scared for my kids, etc
    I hear good things and bad things..and this lady I met the other day showed me what her rooster did to her and how she was aching for days

So peoples experience that they have shared with me make me just not sure

I also would appreciate some advice on Roos, how to handle, what to look for in their behaviors etc..is their a special book, or links on what to do and not do if you have a roo?

3 choices

Favorelle
    Amerecauna w/bw
    Blue wheaten maran

What should my first roo be?

2. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Faverolle for first rooster. Gentle breed.

Ameraucana I don't know.

No to Marans - unless you are getting one from someone whose line you can see in the barnyard interacting with people. Marans are big and strong. Suggest for after you have experience.

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I love roosters as they are challenging at times and sweet at times. Young roos go through "puberty" when they can seem evil for a while. After that with time, determination, a LOT of patience, and a box of bandaids, you can end up with a very nice bird (or not). Spring is approaching and I have noticed my 1 y/o reformed buff orpington rooster is brimming with hormones and crankier than I have seen him in quite a while. You are going to get alot of differing opinions on here that you will have to sort out for yourself. I personally would not risk having a rooster around young children at all. If you are just raising chickens for fun or eggs, you don't really need one anyway.

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Some Ameraucanas are aggressive, some are not. Is it a true Ameraucana or an EE? Less consistency with the latter. Our EE is loud and obnoxious but he is not aggressive. My daughter goes in to get eggs and he leaves her alone. He charges the dog when he's out free-ranging but when she backs off, so does he.

Not sure about faverolles although I went to a garage sale last summer where the people had one free-ranging and he was utterly unconcerned about the people there.

We have a cochin rooster who is our most docile and big and pretty.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I had a Salmon Faverolle rooster once. He continually attacked me and and drew blood once...it was his last time he drew blood. He was the worst rooster I ever had. Two excellent roosters I've had were a Jersey Giant and my current roo, a Black Australorp. IMO... the older the rooster, the better.

6. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Can I ask why you want a roo if you are so scared of them? Personally I think you should stick with the hens, it's not really good to be nervous around a roo.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I wonder too, why get a rooster if you're scared of them? [​IMG]

They do know if you're afraid and will take advantage of it. I've had quite a few, still do, and they all start out sweet - then the hormones kick in, and you never know which will stay nice and which won't.
    That being said, the best natured I've ever had was an EE. (though he was advertised as an Ameraucana)

8. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:Dh says..we are to have a roo..neighbors even say what is wrong with u

Also I should clarify,bantam favorelle rooster..

I have 3 sets incubating

Bantam favorelles
    True amerecaunas standards/ blue wheaten and wheaten coming next week
    And in bator now with favorelles, black copper marans and blue wheaten marans

I thought out of some 30 chicks in the next month..I might a roo out of them

Debating and well, I have a male eclectus parrot..and sweet as can be for the most part, now that I have chicks in my house..gave away all potential Roos at this point..not a clue what the silkies are though..lmao

My adorable sweet parrot, male has turned crazy..I mean he thinks he can walk around the house and then just nail me..wings up and attacks me

And if I use my foot to block him off..dag on thing comes back for more..my little 5 year old, grabs one of his play swords..and the minute gucci sees it..he goes running for cover

Then his whole loving self can be just fine for a few days..loving affectionate, and then wham out the blue...comes chasing after me

And now when I see him get down off his tree in our family room..I go put boots on..he can't get my feet with boots on

So I wasn't scared of birds or Roos or anything..and then this past month..iam so not sure..

It completely changed my outlook on having a roo for my flock

And yes, I was going to breed..amerecauna if I kept one with black copper marans and amerecaunas

Then thought..oh my maybe I should stick with a bantam favorelle roo

9. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    I typed a whole long reply, forgot to hit send..errr

Long story short..I always wanted a roo, till I watched my male electus parrot..start attacking me this past month

Dh thinks we need a roo

Xoxo

10. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I have a bantam mix rooster and when he was going through puberty he attacked me carrying him around and showing him I was boss did the trick now he is just sweet as can be. If you want to keep a rooster I have heard the ones that are not handled alot as chicks do better with not attacking people. You might have to keep the roosters for a while and see which one has the traits you want. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by