OUTBREAK!!!!! drooping wings, lazy and death.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roll8221, Dec 23, 2008.

1. roll8221

roll8221 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Florida
    My birds are dying all over the place. I recently moved some birds around and i must have moved something with it. im losing birds everywhere. they start with droopy wings and are just kinda lyin around then they die. pretty quickly. no bloody poo. gave sulmet all around just in case. any ideas?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you add new birds? Are they eating and drinking? How old are they?

3. Please see my BYC page, use the uncommon disease page. I think you will find your answer there.

It may also be Newcastle disease. This is on the common disease page.

If you have not seen any signs of respiratory problems it is one of the less common diseases or Newcastle.

Please do a search on chicken diseases and inform yourself as much as you can. DO NOT introduce any chickens to your flock and DO NOT take any one of them out unless it is for isolation.

I wish you the best of luck with this outbreak. My thoughts are with you and your chooks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2008
  4. roll8221

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Florida
    no new birds for a while at least a month. they range alot in age. everywhere from like five weks (which we lost the most of) up to a few months. we hatched the majority of them ourselves.

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Have you wormed them recently? If not, might try that. Droopy wings and lethargic before death are sometimes symptoms of worms. I use Wazine in their drinking water.

6. roll8221

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Florida
    can you give it to them along with sulmet?

7. roll8221

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Florida
    13 birds in two days....... can you mix wazine and sulmet?

8. rc'schickens

rc'schickens New Egg

Nov 15, 2008
    I am having a similar problem, but in northern New York State. My Barred Rock hens have been dying. After a day of lethargy and inability to support themselves they just, well, die. In this case it seems that their legs are what fail them because they put their wings out to hold themselves upright on the ground. I got them as new layers and have had them for three months. At this point I have lost 4 of 6. I am concerned that there could be a toxin in the environment but am curious to know if others have had this problem as a result of illness in the flock.

9. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Can you get a necropsy done? That is really awful! Just moving them around on the same property with the same germs shouldn't cause them to die. I move mine around quite a bit and have never had a problem. They may have picked up a virus or other type of infection. If you have the capability of getting a necropsy you might want to do that. Newcastle sounds like a possibility given their symptoms.

10. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:I guess you could and I did once when I wasn't sure what was happening to my flock. But Sulmet is only to be given in drinking water for two days and if you've already done that, you don't need to give any more. Wazine, I believe, is only to be given in drinking water for one day. Check the bottle for instructions because I'm not sure off the top of my head. I do think most of the diseases that Sulmet treats, like Cocci and Coryza, show symptoms before death.

I lost some young peachicks once and the only symptom they had was droopy wings then lethargic and death and I spoke with a breeder who informed me it was worms. Now I treat them regularly and have had no further problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by