Outbreak of EYP?

molly4468

Hatching
Aug 11, 2016
Texas
Hi everyone, I'm a new member and this is my first post! My family had chickens when I was a little kid, and now I have had chickens of my own for about three years. They have a coop made out of an old children's playhouse and a 12'x25' fenced run covered on top with bird netting. We have a real problem where I live with hawks and coyotes. They are fed laying mash with a few handfuls of oyster shell mixed in and occasional treats from the kitchen (watermelon, celery, grapes, etc). Water is supplied through a closed-system dispenser direct from the house supply, no opportunity for any contamination. Because it has been so ridiculously hot here in Texas, I installed a cool mist system on one half of their run. Now they can use one half for cooling off, and the other half for dust baths. They have never been under artificial light to stimulate laying.

OK, I know that was a long walk, but I wanted to give you a good picture of the setup here, because I'm really puzzled about something. Last week my silver laced wyandotte got very lethargic and just huddled in a corner of the run all day. She had watery poop which was clear in color. Her abdomen was very swollen but not hard, felt kind of watery and squishy. I could not feel any egg. I tried to give her water, make her comfortable, etc., but she died after two days. I did a quick "autopsy" and I'm pretty sure she had egg yolk peritonitis because I found cooked-looking egg material in the oviduct. All the internal organs looked puffy and inflamed.

Fast forward to yesterday: my Americauna is showing the same symptoms: not wanting to walk, swollen abdomen, no egg able to be felt, PLUS she is passing yellow poops. Overall she does not seem as sick as the wyandotte was. This time I went to the feed store and got penicillin and have been injecting that into the breast muscle. I gave an AM and PM injection yesterday as a loading dose and will do once a day until Saturday. She seems better today, picking at food and doing a little grooming. Still does not want to walk much though.

So, my question is: After three years of trouble free chicken raising, why do I have two girls down with EYP almost at once? Everything I read seems to point to excessive laying as the cause, but I don't see how that can be the case with mine. I just let them do their thing when and how they want. There are eight nesting boxes and only 7 chickens, so it's not like they are standing in line and crossing their legs.

Any thoughts? As a side note, these girls were all purchased as day-old chicks in spring of 2014. No eggs until almost winter, then they quit anyway due to the season and first molt. Excellent (egg-cellent? blah) egg production last year, almost an egg a day from every hen, then nothing through fall and winter. This spring and summer egg production has been very poor, only 1-3 eggs a day from what was eight hens. I don't know if the two issues are related, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Looking forward to hearing from you, and glad to be a new member!

Welcome to BYC.

I'm sorry for your loss.

The "cooked looking egg material" in her oviduct could have been from something like Salpingitis or impacted oviduct. Which is basically inflammation of the oviduct caused by bacteria like E. coli/bacteria or illness. A good laying hen may have a loose cloaca which can allow poop (bacteria form poop) to travel back into the oviduct, which in turn would allow the oviduct to become infected with bacteria.

EYP (egg yolk peritonitis) acts in a similar fashion, but is usually caused by when an egg travels either back up the oviduct or when dropped "misses" the oviduct and drops into the abdominal cavity which in turn will cause swelling and infection.

Either one will cause infection, could harden into pus/cooked egg appearance and eventually overwhelm the system with infection causing death. Antibiotic treatment is usually not very successful, but could give some relief/supportive care.

It's possible that you can have more than one come down with the same/similar problem in a short period of time. Since it is spread mainly by bacteria, then very possible.

You don't mention any history of having any illness like Mycoplasma or other respiratory illness in the past, but these illnesses can impact the repro system later in life as well.

Just my thoughts.
Here is more information that may be helpful:

Salpingitis:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/12/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/03/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by.html

Peritonitis and internal egg laying issues:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/eggyolkperitonitis.html

PICTURE
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...oring-i-opened-her-to-find-this#post_17145142

Hi, thanks for the info, and sorry it's taken me so long to reply to you! I checked out all the links you sent, and I am more convinced than ever that this is EYP, not lash egg. The internal appearance of the poor chickie I opened up looks nothing like any of the pics of lash egg.

The chickens have all been remarkably healthy up to this point, with the notable exception of an outbreak of fowl pox last fall. Everyone recovered well from that. So no history of mycoplasma or respiratory illness that I am aware of.

As for my most recent patient, I gave her her last penicillin injection on Saturday (so about 3 days ago?). Thus far, she appears back to normal, abdomen normal size and shape, running around the pen, and jostling with her colleagues for food when it arrives in the morning. I am keeping a close watch on her, since I know that she is likely to lay internally again. But so far, so good! I have a suspicion that she actually laid an egg this morning, though I can't be sure without isolating her, which is not possible right now.

But at any rate, she gives every appearance of feeling good right now, so I'll take what I can get.

Thank you so much for all the info! It was very helpful. I will keep this thread updated with any changes.

Hi, thanks for the info, and sorry it's taken me so long to reply to you! I checked out all the links you sent, and I am more convinced than ever that this is EYP, not lash egg. The internal appearance of the poor chickie I opened up looks nothing like any of the pics of lash egg.

The chickens have all been remarkably healthy up to this point, with the notable exception of an outbreak of fowl pox last fall. Everyone recovered well from that. So no history of mycoplasma or respiratory illness that I am aware of.

As for my most recent patient, I gave her her last penicillin injection on Saturday (so about 3 days ago?). Thus far, she appears back to normal, abdomen normal size and shape, running around the pen, and jostling with her colleagues for food when it arrives in the morning. I am keeping a close watch on her, since I know that she is likely to lay internally again. But so far, so good! I have a suspicion that she actually laid an egg this morning, though I can't be sure without isolating her, which is not possible right now.

But at any rate, she gives every appearance of feeling good right now, so I'll take what I can get.

Thank you so much for all the info! It was very helpful. I will keep this thread updated with any changes.

You are welcome
smile.png

I'm glad your most recent girl is recovering.

Please do keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom