Outcome of frizzle Easter egger X buff Brahma

What happens when you mix a buff Brahma with a frizzle Easter egg?
Half of the chicks should have frizzled feathers, have should have smooth feathers.

All of the chicks should have some kind of a pea comb (might be small and tidy like the Brahma's, might be bigger and blobby looking.)

All chicks should have some feathers on their feet.

Assuming the Easter Egger lays blue or green eggs, some of her daughters should too. Either half of daughters should lay green eggs, or all of daughters will lay green eggs. It depends on whether the Easter Egger mother has one or two blue egg genes (Two genes, she gives it to all her daughters. One gene, she gives it to half her daughters, and she gives a not-blue egg gene to the other half of them.)

I can't predict what color the chicks will be unless I know something about the color of the Easter Egger hen. Maybe you could post a photo of her.

Half of the chicks should have frizzled feathers, have should have smooth feathers.

All of the chicks should have some kind of a pea comb (might be small and tidy like the Brahma's, might be bigger and blobby looking.)

Assuming the Easter Egger lays blue or green eggs, some of her daughters should too. Either half of daughters should lay green eggs, or all of daughters will lay green eggs. It depends on whether the Easter Egger mother has one or two blue egg genes (Two genes, she gives it to all her daughters. One gene, she gives it to half her daughters, and she gives a not-blue egg gene to the other half of them.)

I can't predict what color the chicks will be unless I know something about the color of the Easter Egger hen. Maybe you could post a photo of her.
I don’t have a photo of her but she is Grey with frizzles. She also lays green eggs.

I don’t have a photo of her but she is Grey with frizzles. She also lays green eggs.
Unfortunately, "grey" chickens can have quite a few different genes, so I can't really predict chick colors from that. Some chicks might be the same color as her, but there are many more options as well.

If you are able to take a picture later and post it, I can probably give better predictions then.

Is there a way

will I be able to determine which chicks are frizzled immediately after they hatch or would I only be able to determine if their frizzle once they start putting in feathers?

Unfortunately, "grey" chickens can have quite a few different genes, so I can't really predict chick colors from that. Some chicks might be the same color as her, but there are many more options as well.

If you are able to take a picture later and post it, I can probably give better predictions then.
Here’s a photo of her.

Attachments

• IMG_9365.jpeg
    IMG_9365.jpeg
    669.3 KB · Views: 6
Is there a way

will I be able to determine which chicks are frizzled immediately after they hatch or would I only be able to determine if their frizzle once they start putting in feathers?
I think it may take a few days, but unfortunately, I don't have enough frizzle experience to tell for sure.

@JacinLarkwell do you know how early you can tell which chicks are frizzled?

Here’s a photo of her.
I think breeding that hen to a Buff Brahma rooster will give chicks with some pattern of black and gold (same colors as Buff Brahma, but may be arranged differently), and some chicks with a pattern of black and white (can't say what pattern-- might be like the Brahma pattern or like the hen's pattern or different yet).

The chicks should be sexlinks: the ones that show gold or red will be females, the ones that show silver (white) will be males. As they grow up, the males may also show some red or gold patches, and their "white" may become a bit yellowish, but when they are chicks with their first set of feathers the distinction between silver (male) and gold (female) should be fairly obvious. It might also be obvious in their down when they hatch, or it might not. Some chicks have some much black or gray in their down that you can't tell if they are gold or silver until they feather out.

I think the hen has some kind of dilution gene, but I can't decide whether it is likely to be blue or chocolate or fawn/dun. If it is blue or fawn/dun, then half of chicks will show that (changing the black parts of the chicks into that color). If it is the sex-linked chocolate gene, none of her chicks will show that effect, so the will all have black in their patterning.

Back
Top Bottom