Outcrossing to improve type

Understand that different breeds can often have genetic differences as to cololr.

For example: the Cubalaya. Some of my best typed birds are white. If I needed (which I don't) to improve the BBR variety I'd use White in heartbeat (I realize you said BLR and not BBR). Also, I've made my Red Pyles with the Whites and BBR.

To me what is most important in Type (if that is what needs help) is the Female. Regardless of the colors used; they are secondary (even if they require a few years to fix) to Type. You said it was Type you wanted to fix in your initial question. Thus, it should be the Female that is introduced and not a Male.

Thanks saladin, I agree that the female brings much more to the table than the male. With our show horses, we attribute about 80% of of the reproductive power to the mare. I appreciate you telling me about the difference in genetics with different colored birds. This is all very new to me and I don't want to make a lot of mistakes that can be avoided. So in layman's terms, a partridge and silver pencilled wyandotte will be different colors, but the same pattern, so they are genetically closer than say a partridge and a columbian? Is that thinking correct?

Quote:
Those are not my color specialties. The others will have to answer that for you.

My colors are the Oriental Wheaten which further breakdown into Asil, Shamo, and Malay Wheaten over against Cubalaya Wheaten.

By the way, according to Jeffries if you want good Whites they need to have been bred to Blacks or Blues. I did that in the Cubalaya and the old fellow was RIGHT ON THE MONEY. However, the colors GDW and SDW from a Wheaten base react differently than GDW and SDW from a true BBR base. I learned that the hard way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom