Outdoor Brooder?

Chickie_Momma_91

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
I’ve got my 1-2.5 week old chicks outside. There are 2. They’ve got the heating pad (pictured) in there with them on the floor. The door to the coop can close, the coop roof is hinged for access (to the coop and part of the run), and I’m doing hardware cloth all the way around. Will they be okay?

Attachments

• 204C8641-3ADE-47D6-AF39-7D1FEEA8A23F.jpeg
    204C8641-3ADE-47D6-AF39-7D1FEEA8A23F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 13B3DF9F-AD4E-4B30-BE60-BDEFC8B11850.jpeg
    13B3DF9F-AD4E-4B30-BE60-BDEFC8B11850.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 15
  • F7D42957-4219-480A-B251-7012CE8CA4DA.png
    F7D42957-4219-480A-B251-7012CE8CA4DA.png
    482.3 KB · Views: 16
I’ve got my 1-2.5 week old chicks outside. There are 2. They’ve got the heating pad (pictured) in there with them on the floor. The door to the coop can close, the coop roof is hinged for access (to the coop and part of the run), and I’m doing hardware cloth all the way around. Will they be okay?
They will be fine as long as there is a floor in the coop and you close them up at night (so predators can't get in).

If your setup proof against heavy rain, including runoff across the ground -- both the structure and the electric?

If yes, brooding outside is wonderful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/
Yes it is! My yard has good drainage, the coop floor is about 2” off the ground, the roof is wider than the coop by quite a bit to prevent leaking, and the electric is good. Worst case scenario I can just move them to the porch. I had bantams in here with the heating pad but I trusted them to go back up at night and stay up. I left the door to the coop open the the run and raccoon reached through 😢 I’m not doing hardware cloth, wrapping the sides/bottom so they overlap, and I’m going to shut the coop door at night so they can’t come out.

If it's not covered in hardware cloth potentially a snake, weasel, or rat could get in. I brooded mine outdoors for the most part, but scooped them up at night to house them indoors or inside the main coop.
Good luck!

If it's not covered in hardware cloth potentially a snake, weasel, or rat could get in. I brooded mine outdoors for the most part, but scooped them up at night to house them indoors or inside the main coop.
Good luck!
They are closed in the coop part and that’s got a closed door. I’ll be doing hardware cloth. I’ve got the bottom done, but my snips broke. Just got the nut today but got a tooth pulled yesterday and hammering in poultry staples sounds agonizing right now.

I brood outside as well, in much cooler temperatures though. With your temperatures they won't need heat at all during daytime, so don't be surprised if they don't go inside the coop part at all during the day. Looks like there's some shade over the set up, does it stay partially shaded all day? Shade will help give them a little relief from the heat.

I brood outside as well, in much cooler temperatures though. With your temperatures they won't need heat at all during daytime, so don't be surprised if they don't go inside the coop part at all during the day. Looks like there's some shade over the set up, does it stay partially shaded all day? Shade will help give them a little relief from the heat.
The shade moves but yes it’s got shade all day over at least half.

Back
Top Bottom